Installed base-devel but many are orphans

I understand how make dependencies can install packages that are orphaned after the package is installed. But I specifically installed the base-devel group, why are many of packages still showing up as orphans? Do I need to install each package explicitly to prevent the “orphaning”?

In looking into this further, I am unable to determine exactly how a “group” works. It would seem it is simply a shorthanded way to install packages, sort of. The packages get installed but are not marked as explicitly installed or a dependency of the group or any package. So for the sanity of the package database, one is better off installing each package of a group individually. Skip the group way.

How?

They will be if you use this command:

sudo pacman -S --needed base-devel

Completely untrue.

1 Like

A basic pacman -S base-devel

Does not compute. Either way, this will work regardless:

sudo pacman -S --needed --asexplicit base-devel

I’ll give that a try, thank you.

I have not yet tried re-installing with --asexplicit.

Because something is not good… when I attempt to remove one of the base-devel packages, such as autoconf, pamac returns:

Failed to prepare transaction <2>
target not found: autoconf.

However, I can re-install them:

# pacman -S base-devel
:: There are 24 members in group base-devel:
:: Repository core
   1) autoconf  2) automake  3) binutils  4) bison  5) fakeroot  6) file  7) findutils  8) flex  9) gawk  10) gcc  11) gettext  12) grep  13) groff  14) gzip  15) libtool  16) m4  17) make
   18) pacman  19) patch  20) pkgconf  21) sed  22) sudo  23) texinfo  24) which

Enter a selection (default=all): 
warning: autoconf-2.71-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: automake-1.16.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: binutils-2.35-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: bison-3.7.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: fakeroot-1.25.3-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: file-5.39-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: findutils-4.8.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: flex-2.6.4-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gawk-5.1.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gcc-10.2.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gettext-0.21-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: grep-3.6-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: groff-1.22.4-4 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gzip-1.10-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: libtool-2.4.6+44+gb9b44533-14 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: m4-1.4.18-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: make-4.3-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: pacman-5.2.2-4 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: patch-2.7.6-8 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: pkgconf-1.7.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: sed-4.8-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: sudo-1.9.5.p2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: texinfo-6.7-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: which-2.21-5 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (24) autoconf-2.71-1  automake-1.16.3-1  binutils-2.35-1  bison-3.7.3-1  fakeroot-1.25.3-2  file-5.39-1  findutils-4.8.0-1  flex-2.6.4-3  gawk-5.1.0-1  gcc-10.2.0-1  gettext-0.21-1
              grep-3.6-1  groff-1.22.4-4  gzip-1.10-3  libtool-2.4.6+44+gb9b44533-14  m4-1.4.18-3  make-4.3-3  pacman-5.2.2-4  patch-2.7.6-8  pkgconf-1.7.3-1  sed-4.8-1  sudo-1.9.5.p2-1
              texinfo-6.7-3  which-2.21-5

Total Installed Size:  216.73 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y

pamac shows autoconf as installed as a dependency for another package, yet it continues to show as an orphan.

Sounds like you should.

I reinstalled again, this time adding --asexplicit as suggested and the packages no longer show as orphans. So far so good… but then when I attempt to uninstall autoconf, pamac continues to return:

Failed to prepare transaction <2>
target not found: autoconf

Edit: However, I can uninstall autoconf via pacman -R without issue.
Edit 2: pacman -Dk returns with no errors.
Edit 3: If I attempt to install via pamac, it is attempting to reinstall many core packages, like perl, cairo, systemd, shadow… no such issue with pacman. Attempting to install the same packages via pacman results in a normal looking install.
Edit 4: When I ran pamac-manager from the command line, it spit out errors indicating that it did not have permissions to access /tmp/pamac* directories. They were owned by root. Once I removed the /tmp/pamac* directories, the behavior seems to have returned to normal.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.