Installation with Manjaro-Architect ISO

how switch to testing branch ?

Nice video! Looks like me :wink:

Mirrors section of the installer

Hi Guys,

I am trying to install Manjaro in virtualbox for testing things out. I am totally new to this and I came across the below screen which I don’t see in the tutorial above and I am not sure what the other things in this list are. I do understand that the installation (or atleast I think it will) will go smoothly if I go ahead with default options, but it would be great if anyone can explain what these Kernel modules are and when it is needed.

Should be fine. It’s this:

Next you will see a selection of all the available kernel extramodules. Since for my wireless card I will need the broadcom-wl module, I will select that one here and the matching driver packages for both my selected kernels will be installed. The rest of the listed modules I will not need.

I understand that. But what does this kernel modules do and when will it be necessary @oberon?
I am not sure whether I should install the broadbcom-wl module or not. That is why I am asking. :slight_smile:

The reason for me to install broadcom-wl is simply that I have a broadcom wireless card in this laptop. inxi -F for me shows:

Network:   Card-1: Broadcom Limited BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl

You need to install what you need for your hardware.
If you have already installed Manjaro on the same hardware before and you didn’t need to install anything separately afterwards it should be fine to just leave the default for you.

Because this is a Virtual Box?

You will not need any extramodules in vbox if you install the video driver later. It will offer you video-virtualbox or install it automatically with automatic video driver installation.

And hardware you might need one or the other extramodule - it depends on your hardware.

Thanks for the quick reply. But I didn’t understand this part. How do I know which module will I be needing?

$ inxi -F

System: Host: bi0GE4N Kernel: 4.9.20-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome 3.22.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Device: laptop System: SAMSUNG product: 550P5C/550P7C v: P10AAA
Mobo: SAMSUNG model: SAMSUNG_NP1234567890 v: SEC_SW__1234567890ABCD
BIOS: American Megatrends v: P10AAA.047.140617.dg date: 06/17/2014
Battery BAT1: charge: 43.0 Wh 100.0% condition: 43.0/44.0 Wh (98%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 2641 MHz 2: 2528 MHz 3: 2929 MHz 4: 2990 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 650M]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 driver: FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1600x900@60.07hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.2
Audio: Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.20-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: c4:85:08:13:d1:cf
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8168
IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: e8:03:9a:b1:dd:89
Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (16.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_750 size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 230G used: 40G (19%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: 61.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 214 Uptime: 3:54 Memory: 3182.8/5868.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

@oberon - I would also like to ask one more question, I just installed a GNOME system using the Manjaro Architect and I got two options while selecting GNOME:

1. full
  2. minimal.

I chose FULL and installed the system and I found that I got the Manjaro GNOME edition style and NOT vanilla GNOME. Currently, in my main system I use vanilla GNOME with just a different icon pack. That’s all the customization I need, for the rest of the part I would like to have a Vanilla GNOME DE. Will selecting minimal while installing the GNOME DE option gives me vanilla GNOME? Otherwise, how do I get vanilla GNOME using Manjaro Architect?

Minimal will give you a vanilla Gnome

Nono! :slight_smile: minimal and full equal the minimal and full Manjaro profiles.
The vanilla desktop can be installed in the “Advanced Installation” menu. The entry is called “Unconfigured Desktops”.

@oberon just got home after long weekend, will take a look at duplicate driver list later today.

Thank you! :slight_smile:
After I have finalized the luks and lvm config stuff I’ll address the revamping of the menu structure next ! … :wink:

Was luks and lvm not working? Didn’t know enough about it to test it properly… :blush: .

$ pmarch
Name            : manjaro-architect
Version         : 0.8.6-1

Still duplicates, mirroring the output of mhwd -l, thus duplicates for multiple gpu systems.

There is sort missing before uniq in the pipe. Uniq removes only consecutive doubles, so without sort it misses most duplicates.

EDIT: added sort to git