Installation: UEFI to msdos; bios-legacy to GPT

ref: this closed old topic

We’ve been kept busy because users are installing UEFI to msdos partitioning and bios-legacy to GPT.
While it can be done and the installer allows it, users are having problems as expected.

I repeat my request that the installer do not allow such installations or at least state a warning that this type of installation is not recommended.

I normally do not like to repeat so many times (see, nothing from me about implementation of intel-ucode ever again - oops, I just did it, didn’t I?) but it is not a good sign when we are kept busy ‘helping out’ what can be done without.

Just a gentle nodge (nodge?). [edit] - nudge!
Thanks and cheers.

with Skylake series , appears more bios-legacy - GPT than UEFI with USB 3.0 series.
my card has link TB3 - USB 3.0 (Z170X-UD5-TH) , and all theses cards made by Gigabyte cant boot with UEFI only ,
no boot on USB key ( USB 1.x or 2.x or 3 ) in UEFI only

I can understand that this can be problematic, however I don’t agree. I always use GPT with bios-legacy and it wouldn’t be great if I had to use workarounds. Or we would need two official installation methods: Calamares for beginners and manjaro-architect for experienced users.

Filed a report in calamares git
Understand you, @anon23612428. In my report, I ask for at least a warning.
BTW, is the reason you’re doing this is because you have > 3TB disk ?
If that is not the case, is there another reason?

@oberon, thanks for your comment there.

I don’t have a technical reason for it. I’ve been using GPT since years, so it’s more of a habit. Also, no worries with primary/logical paritions. MBR is so… 1980s :slight_smile:

Okay, fine with me. :slight_smile:
It’s always fine whatever any person wants to do.
As long… it doesn’t infringe on other peoples’ rights, freedom, you know…
Thanks for answering. Appreciate it. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by