Installation problem 17.02

but that’s simply how I did it in my above post.
Also, what’s up with your 500Gig dev/sdb drive ?

I don’t think you “wiped” your drive clean.
EDIT, or nevernind, maybe that’s how Ubuntu/Mint autopartitions the drive, with an extended “swap” partition?

ok well in Ubuntu, insert your usb-flash drive in a usb2 port, (assuming it’s /dev/sdc).
-make sure you unmount it if it automounts. Example, do a “df -k” in a Terminal and you’ll see the mountpoint for /dev/sdc and then just
sudo umount /[mountpoint].
-In Ubumtu, make sure the usb-drive /dev/sdc is “unmounted” and NOT “ejected”.
-Now in “Gparted” SELECT /dev/sdc, Create a new empty msdos partition table - (gparted Menu -> Device -> New Partition Table -> msdos …). Close gparted when completed successfully.
Open Terminal:

(Or, the “x86_64” bit version).

when it’s finished
-Reboot, and select to boot the usb-drive from your Bios’s Boot Selection, you may have to hold down [F[1-12]] to select boot from usb drive.
-Then when Manjaro GUI-Grub-Menu apprears select “Boot Manjaro XFCE …” this will bring you to a LIVE xfce session.
-From there “Install” Manjaro, but like I said, if you want to install Manjaro cleanly on /dev/sdb, then either create a new (empty) msdos partition table on that /dev/sdb HD, by using Calameres-installer-(during drive selection/partitioning),
Or,
do it with Gparted BEFORE you start the install.and manually partition if you like, and/or let the manjaro calamares installer select the entire /dev/sdb and autopartition for you.

You said you successfully installed Manajro 17.01, and 16.08 before so most of what I said above you have already done.

But I’ll use this opportunity to practice my typing skills, since using a mouse in Linux has made me very lazy. :wink:

Hi @scjet
when I read Yours advice, than I give it one more chance and try Your “procedure” step by step. Thanks for it.
I did all Your advice with same result… =/
>

Grub loading...
 Welcome GRUB!

Thanks You for Your help.
@Pierleonardo GL & HF.
Bye

@Mr-Snek
and @Pierleonardo
sorry to hear that.

I just want to re-verify a couple things:
the “dd …” to your usb drives completes successfully right?
1./ When you boot from the usb-flash after, does it boot up susscessfullt to “live” session, and then after installation, and reboot to Hardrive, the GRUB error comes up ?
Or,
2./ does it fail to even boot from usb-flash to a “Live” seesion?

If it’s “1./” then some more in-depth “grub>” cli maybe needed here, which @gohlip is highly recommened, and/or some others here.
If it’s 2./ then again, I have no other suggestions right now.
Either way, we’ve all seen other very similar posts here regarding 17.0.2 install problems, and yes it is a bit “strange” indeed, even though I personally haven’t run into it yet.

@scjet Thanks
If I understand correct, so here are my answers:

1. No. No install. I can not install it. No “Live” session.
  2. Yes. I can not boot first time from flasdisk OR classic CD/DVD mechanic with DVD. Same error (see above).

So at least it will make me try normal Arch. But I am sorry… =/

Have a nice day ALL

PS: And Yes, “DD” (and another programs) completed successfully all tasks…

1 Like

Sorry guys, and to stephane and scjet.
I did not answer earlier as I am as confounded too. And you are already asking questions that I would have asked. But apologies, nevertheless for not responding earlier.

The few points I like to make but does not really help the OP (er…Pierleonardo & Mr-Snek)

o I am unsure, as scjet is, if the machine is 64 bit capable - Pierleonardo says he (gender neutral - sigh, but from both 'OP’s - their nicks imply male) has installed 64 bits before.
o I am not conversant with usb burns (rufus,…) but both have used “dd bs=4M if=xxxx of=/dev/sdx” and both indicated burns worked to completion. And that should work if machine is 64 bit capable.
o In the case where “GRUB” appears without the menu, it means the grub.cfg is not there in the livecd .

I am tempted to think (like scjet) from this output of fdisk -l

Device     Boot   Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdc1  *         64 3180087 3180024  1.5G cd unknown
/dev/sdc2       3180088 3188279    8192    4M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

That the install media is not made properly. A “dd bs=4M if=xxxxx” should, whatever the prior state or format of the usb , have created a proper install media. A “parted -l” command would be better. But again, scjet had asked to verify that it is done well. Perhaps a new usb device should be proposed? And note the size of that install media? < 1.6 GB ?

In summary, I would not have done better than stephane or scjet and prefer not to add to the noise.
But cheers, everyone.
Oh… good luck.

[edit] -
Or we can try using this to install, if we have an existing linux grub.
Or use the livecd grub to boot the isofile in the hard disk.

I’ve just done it following exactly your guide but the result was the same as before.
The only message that appears on the screen is “Welcome GRUB” and the pc stops working.

I’m very disappointed and angry, please get me the link for downloading the 17.01, I’ll try to install it with scjet procedure.

Thanks

I noted this wasn’t mentioned anywhere (perhaps we old users take it that this is assumed)

Secure boot must be disabled to install Manjaro.
(But so. I think, would Antergos which the OP had installed).

Still worth a mention.

Then show the output of your:
“sudo fdisk -l” , and a
"sudo parted -l"
(along with your newly dd’ed usb flash drive connected)

Once again: here’s my usb /dev/sdc, for comparison, on my mbr/bios system, similar to yours:

sudo fdisk -l :

Disk /dev/sdc: 59.6 GiB, 64019759104 bytes, 125038592 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot   Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdc1  *         64 3180087 3180024  1.5G cd unknown
/dev/sdc2       3180088 3188279    8192    4M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

sudo parted -l :

Model: Lexar USB Flash Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 64.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.8kB  1628MB  1628MB  primary               boot
 2      1628MB  1632MB  4194kB  primary               esp

But, in your case, please output the entire “sudo parted -l” incuding all your installed disks…, which may help.
Another thing you should also try is make sure your Bios is set to “defaults/optimized defaults” which your “HP-Compaq-dx2200-MT” PC does have.

Sorry scjet,
During my last test the monitor shows this picture:

After that, ubuntu falling down with a lot of errors and internal checking.
From yesterday and till now I was in panic!!!

After a lot of test the ubuntu grub starts in a normal way then ubuntu and windows start to works normally.
Probably the problem happens when I’ve setted to load optimized default for bios.

Ok.
I’m recovery myself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, I’ll give you the answers ASAP

ok, then maybe BIOS should’ve left alone. :wink: -on the other hand setting bios to optimized defaults, may have inadvertently brought up some issues that need to be resolved anyway?
a quick search, but only as a reference for you -> (ubuntu grub) https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1965810

hope you get it all working soon.
and btw, when you do get it installed, let Manjaro handle grub, 'cause otherwise it doesn’t play nice when handled by other Linux distro’s, unfortunately still.

About sudo fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/sda: 37,3 GiB, 40000000000 bytes, 78125000 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x788366df

Dispositivo Avvio Start     Fine  Settori  Size Id Tipo
/dev/sda1   *        63 78124094 78124032 37,3G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 465,8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0007bd93

Dispositivo Avvio     Start      Fine   Settori   Size Id Tipo
/dev/sdb1              2048 972843007 972840960 463,9G 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2         972845054 976771071   3926018   1,9G  5 Esteso
/dev/sdb5         972845056 976771071   3926016   1,9G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sdc: 7,4 GiB, 7969177600 bytes, 15564800 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Dispositivo Avvio   Start    Fine Settori  Size Id Tipo
/dev/sdc1   *          64 3180087 3180024  1,5G cd sconosciuto
/dev/sdc2         3180088 3188279    8192    4M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

About sudo parted -l

Modello: ATA HDS722540VLSA80 (scsi)
Disco /dev/sda: 40,0GB
Dimensione del settore (logica/fisica): 512B/512B
Tabella delle partizioni: msdos
Flag del disco: 

Numero  Inizio  Fine    Dimensione  Tipo     File system  Flag
 1      32,3kB  40,0GB  40,0GB      primary  ntfs         avvio

Modello: ATA WDC WD5000BPVX-0 (scsi)
Disco /dev/sdb: 500GB
Dimensione del settore (logica/fisica): 512B/4096B
Flag del disco: 

Numero  Inizio  Fine   Dimensione  Tipo      File system     Flag
 1      1049kB  498GB  498GB       primary   ext4
 2      498GB   500GB  2010MB      extended
 5      498GB   500GB  2010MB      logical   linux-swap(v1)

Modello: Verbatim STORE N GO (scsi)
Disco /dev/sdc: 7969MB
Dimensione del settore (logica/fisica): 512B/512B
Flag del disco: 

Numero  Inizio  Fine    Dimensione  Tipo     File system  Flag
 1      32,8kB  1628MB  1628MB      primary               avvio
 2      1628MB  1632MB  4194kB      primary               esp

Your suggestion?

I’m guessing that the “avvio” Flag simply means “boot/start” right?
Again, I took a quick glance, but I’m guesing with “Your suggestion?” that the successful install of Manjaro 17.0.2 failed again right ?

Yes

Yes

Sorry

The Ubuntu definitely let me down.
I’ve decide to wipe both the HD’s with DBAN, this afternoon I’ll install the Manjaro 17.02 64 bit as first OS.

Hope that It get me more success :thinking:

Why are you bothering with DBAN ? <- “While DBAN is free to use, there’s no guarantee of data removal. It cannot detect or erase SSDs …” I think DBAN is screwing things up for you.
I would suggest just using Gparted, as I explained above from the booted Live Session.

I preferred to start with a clean pc.
Let me say that I’ve thought to use an sulfuric acid to clean the HD’s but I haven’t a right aspiration circuit into my house (I’m joking :rofl:)

As per my schedule, after double wipe and prepared the partiotions with Gparted, I’ve tryd to install manjaro 17.02 64bit as the first OS but the message from screen was the same “Welcome GRUB” than the machine stop its functionallity.

I haven’t try other releases of manjaro, I preferred to instal Windows 7 into the 40GB HD and install last release of ARCHLAB (ISO USB prepared with RUFUS) into the first partiotion of 500GB HD.

The result was awesome, Archlab Is running without any problem.

And so?
I don’t know why ARCHLAB yes but Manjaro 17.02 no, both was prepared with RUFUS, I’ll try to prepare a new USB with scjet procedure probably tomorrow
Now I’ve ather two partitions free for testing other releases that I’ll do ASAP

Thanks

Yes, I’m quite impressed with ArchLabs, but back to Manjaro.
Have you tried the “Manjaro-Architect iso”, <- https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/ (near bottom of the page), it may be worth a try.

Downloading now …

Ending test with no results.

I’ve made the USB with RUFUS (option .ISO and DD) and scjet procedure with no signs.

But.
I’ve noticed that the message on the screen after “welcome to GRUB” is “Fuori portata” It means that the resolution of the screen is out of its own capability.
I’ve saw the same message when I’ve changed the screen resolution during installation of windows 7 ultimate.
In this case was enough to choose a different resolution for resuming the normal functionality of the PC.

Could Manjaro lives suffer this problem? I thinking that these lives has something that modify the status of video interface so that I can’t see anything but the pc is in a “waiting state”.

It could be?