Installation on a new SSD, boot on fat32.....

Hi

Hope that this is the right place, if not please move my post

Have set up a test Manjaro 18.1.4 Juhra on a small SSD and will be receiving a new 1t drive SSD in a couple of days, so will be reinstalling fresh again

I will be staying with this version, tried the Gnome and didn't like it, also except for a couple of programs will no longer use Win10

When I installed it on my small 250 gig SSD , It created a
/dev/sb1 fat32 /boot/efi (299 MiB boot, esp)
/dev/sb2 ext4 / (200 GiB)

It seems strange that it installs the boot on a fat32 rather than ext4 (Linux Mint which I had played with before was on an ext4)

So before I reinstall on my soon coming SSD, is this correct or should I modify something?

Thanks

It's /boot/efi, not /boot.
EFI doesn't support ext4 AFAIK.

Yes /boot/efi must be a fat32 partition or it will not work, MBR does not have this restriction.

EFI specification is specific on the format of $esp (Efi System Partition) - it must be the FAT filesystem - it doesn't have to be FAT32 - in fact a FAT16 partition works as well.

This has nothing to with your system in general - so no changes.

If you had a system which booted to an ext4 partition - then that system was a BIOS/MBR system (MBR partition schema only allows four (4) primary partitions) and MBR is incompatible with EFI.

Modern systems uses EFI (UEFI) and the GPT partition schema (GPT allows for 128 partitions) and is the preferred/recommended partition schema for Manjaro.

IMPORTANT: Do not mix the two - EFI cannot boot from MBR partition schema.

Every system booting using EFI is using a FAT formatted partition for the efi bootloaders. You may not always see it because it is in the /boot/efi folder - if mounted at all.

Discoverable Partitions Specification

The $esp partition has a specific partition UUID and is not required to be mounted in fstab for the system to be able to boot - this can be confusing if you expect it to be present on the system.

Commenting fstab entries do not prevent booting if partition UUIDs are set correct.

Yes I'm not sure why its did a fat partition , especailly as I had preformatted the drive to ext4

Maybe, but I can't remember I had a Win10 on a second HD, and active at the installation time and thats why its sdb rather than a sda, maybe ....

Though I didn't do a dual boot as have an OS per HD

What I'll try when my new SSD arrives is umplug all HDs so that it cannot see anything except the new drive

Si

My new SSD has just arrived

This time I only plugged in this drive and booted from the CDRom to install

Now I have only
/dev/sda
File system ext4/

No boot/ or boot/efi this time

All boots fine though very slow on boot , loads longer than Win10

I must have ticked the no loggin/password on boot (though don't think so) as it doesn't ask me for my loggin password and boots directly to the desktop

Can I correct this or should I re wipe and start again ?

again

Thanks

It looks that you have booted up your installation media in legacy/mbr mode and installed Manjaro in the same mode. Therefore no EFI system partition.

If your Windows is installed in UEFI mode and you want to boot it via Manjaro's grub then you would need too boot Manjaro's installation media in UEFI and install it in the same mode.

Can you post the output of
sudo parted -l
from the live usb with all your drives connected?

I do seem to remember choosing uefi mode when booting from the CDRom as there were two choices for the DVD, is it / was it the right choice ?

Model: ATA Samsung SSD 860 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 1000GB 1000GB primary ext4

This is just the result with only my SSD installed

The other SSD with windows is connect as yet and wont be used unless I really need to boot into windows, so no dual boot needed, I rather just change the boot sequence in the bios the day I need windows

Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 1000GB 1000GB primary ext4

The msdos partition table and the absence of ESP (EFI System Partition) indicates an installation in Legacy/MBR mode. For an UEFI installation you would have needed a Guid Partition Table (GPT) and of course an ESP to be mounted at /boot/efi.

However if the following is the case:

then there is no need to reinstall.

Many thanks for your help

I decided to double-check, so rebooted from the CDRom making sure I chose UEFI for it this time

Then restarted the install and this time

I now have, this is for UEFI so my previous install though working was more bios / legacy

unallocated 2 MiB
/dev/sda1 fat32 /boot/efi 300MiB
/dev/sda2 ext4 931.22 GiB

Am I right in thinking that the 2 MiB is put aside for the SSD specific for an SSD over-provisioning or is it just a Linux thing

Anyway, thanks for your previous help, cleared a lot up for me :):ok_hand:

1 Like

no - it has nothing to with overprovisioning - that take a lot more space.

Yes, that's what I thought, so do I need / is it useful to create some space at the end of the main partition ? some sites say yes and some say no (I have loads of room now)

New SSD up and running, programs installed, runs like a dream, (Windows10 in cupboard now)

A couple of small things to smooth out like NumLock not working on boot, but other than that, I'm as pleased as punch :slight_smile:

It's a great distro, a bit more complicated than Mint, but I prefer it, the few questions I have asked here or IRC have been correctly and politely answered

Thanks all

I might be wrong but I guess it has to do with the fact that it is possible to install in Legacy mode to a GPT disk. That would require a tiny unallocated space at the beginning of the disk that would need to be flagged as bios_grub.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by