Installation of Manjaro alongside Windows

The settings you mention is required only if you plan to modify windows files from Manjaro so if this is not your usecase those doesn’t matter much.

What matters is Secure Boot in the firmware as this must be disabled to be able to boot Manjaro.

You should be able to find the necessary tips and tricks in

It is advised to disable this, yes, because it allows Windows to retain control of your hardware across reboots. In other words, USB ports and the likes will not be fully reset after running Windows, because the hardware expects Windows to take control of those devices again upon the next boot.

P.S.: You started this thread on the 18th of July 2022, and today is the 4th of September 2022. That’s over two months — a time that you have so far spent on asking anew questions that have already been answered in the first couple of posts, and then walking away again for weeks.

Don’t you think it’s about time you actually start installing Manjaro on that machine? Everything you need to know has already been explained to you ages ago, so please, either commence the installation — and if you run into any problems with that, then you can open a new thread — or abandon the project altogether, but it’s not fair that you keep milking answers and advice that have already been given out of people who spend their time here helping others on a voluntary basis.

@Aragorn @linux-aarhus @Jim.B

Hi, yeah I know, it took me a while to attempt installing Manjaro.

So, I have attempted, first, live booting of Manjaro using open source drivers from a USB stick.

2 issues caught my attention.

1. Could not connect to Wifi, such as eduroam and others. There are 2 Wifi adapters - Internal broadcomm adapter, and external USB TP-link adapter. So, even though, lspci, lsusb, hwinfo --short, link net show are recognizing the devices, I am not sure whether device drivers are installed for those devices or not. So, how to check that using the terminal?

Also, I have noticed that the wifi driver - starting with wl, is shown as STATE DOWN, MODE DORMANT. I changed the MODE to DEFAULT, but the STATE is still DOWN.

In the hardware configuration window, I noticed, initially, broadcomm Wl driver is Not Installed; so, I installed it manually and that is Not Open source.

As an alternative, Using Bluetooth, I used smartphone’s Wifi to connect to the network.

1. While using the Live Manjaro for a while, I noticed that the screen flickers, momentarily, sometimes. In the hardware configuration window, a generic graphics driver, (open source) is installed both for Intel graphics and NVidia adapters, although there are other options available, which are not checked/installed.

Also, I have noticed that on startup, the tapping of Dell Touchpad option is not selected by default. I have to manually enable it everytime, i boot.

Anyway, will these issues get sorted out automatically, once I install Manjaro on the hard-drive, because of automatic updates? Or, do I have to manually look for drivers for these issues?

For, TP-Link adapter, I may have got the driver for the model that I have, but, there are lack of instructions for installing on Manjaro (although, some examples are given for Ubuntu, Rasperry Pi, Mint, Kali Linux - whose instructions to follow?). Also, in the driver’s website, it was mentioned that this driver will work for 3.x kernel to 4.x kernel, but, I believe the latest Manjaro Xfce’s kernel is version 5.15, right? Apparently, those are the latest device drivers for that model, that I have noticed on their website. There is also a beta version, but I prefer the stable ones.

Very soon, I will attempt installing Manjaro on my system, but, it would have been better to get a proper Wifi connection prior to that.

[P.S. And, by the way, this thread does not allow me to post any images/screenshots or any hyperlinks, otherwise, I could have shared what I have noticed on my end.]

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.