Install Xfce Illirya fails on Graphic Device

After two or three years running Manjaro Xfce, yesterday I tried to do a clean install, sort of getting rid of all the cruft of trying this and that.

I started with the Xfce minimal install and after the first screen got garbled screens (dual monitor). I can go to a tty screen though.

I then tried the standard Xfce with the same result.

Today I tried Manjaro Awesome, and it works, the output of inxi -G is the same as the output on previous Xfce, which I paste here:

inxi -Fxzc0

System:
  Host: frydov Kernel: 5.0.5-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: Xfce 4.13.3
  Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: All Series v: N/A  serial: <filter>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: B85M-E v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter>
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2202 date: 02/13/2015
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-4690 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 6144 KiB
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 28009
  Speed: 2267 MHz min/max: 800/3900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2298 2: 2219 3: 2284 4: 2275
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA G71GL [Quadro FX 1500] driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting tty: N/A
  OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A direct render: N/A

Illirya Xfce tty console output:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA G71GL [Quadro FX 1500] driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting tty: N/A

While Awesome from a terminal shows

Graphics:
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting tty: N/A

as you see, the graphics section is almost the same, the difference is in the Display server: X.Org 1.20.3 instead of 1.20.4

I tried to change the boot settings 'setparams' i915.modeset and radeon.modset to 0 and/or adding nomodeset, to no avail.
journalctl -b -p4 shows

nouveau 0000:01:0.1: DRM: TMDS table sripts pointers not stubbed

cat /var/log/Xorg.o.log shows

(==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
(**)  |--> Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
(**)  |     |--> Monitor "Default Monitor"

I am at a loss, thanks in advance for any help, I am sure it has a simple solution.
Peter

you have nvidia hardware so those aren't applicable. did you try booting in non-free driver mode instead of using nouveau?

1 Like

Is worst, like it really doesn't like it.
I resorted to installing Awesome and then xfce4, and is running well.
p

There is a new BIOS available for that mainboard

For that model you need the 304.XX variant of video-nvidia, with it will perform better than the nouveau, but i'm afraid you will have to use a RT kernel ...

2 Likes

Interesting, I'll try the RT and then install the 304.XX ...
Only on another motherboard but with the same video card I could use the vido-nvidia.
Will let you know the results.
Thanks
p

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.