Install with latest updates

When installing Manjaro there should be a option to install with latest updates applied.

As the installer requests a internet connection to be present, when booting up the LiveCD you are greeted with 3-400+ updates required.

So when we install Manjaro the system should install then update at the same time to save us time from doing a big update after install.
Windows has a option for doing this which you can toggle right from the installer screen.

It would help speed up installs especially on a rolling release.

2 Likes

you can use manjaro-architect if you want to install via internet.
its a tui.
and difficult to use for a noob.

That sounds like a good idea and there is no doubt it can be done but for the time spent installing there is no real benefit. Why?

Because the Manjaro ISO is build of - at the time of ISO creation - four filesystems.

Those file systems is unpacked into memory when the ISO boots.

The Calamares installer does the usual preparation of the system and when finished package collection then on the user's final accept a selection of the file systems is unpacked to the target partition(s) mainly the root and desktop file systems.

So an optional update of a system to the latest set of packages will take additional time to download and install because the aforementioned file systems were packages available at ISO creation time.

So no matter where it is done, it requires additional time.

Another option is for maintainers to rebuild the ISO a few days after a major snapshot has been made from testing to stable.

The ISOs would then be semi rolling and new installs would not have to download more packages than what has been released during required security updates or important bug fixing.

Edit 2019-05-01T09:18:00Z

I may not have understood the OP correct - so trying to follow here - the suggestion is for the live ISO to - on the user selection - behave like Architect with the exception that the profile is installed instead of copying from the ISO.

Wouldn't that be to duplicate Manjaro Architect into Calamares.

1 Like

I have wondered about this. Imho it's a logical step, Suse has it and Architect does it. An option that pulls all the files from the Stable repos online during install is a very good idea.

1 Like

Was just thinking wouldn't this also cut down on work for installing.

If it updates the repos and checks at for updated packages the beginning of install.
This way it installs what isn't updated from the LiveCD/installer then installs the rest from online.
This would cut down on drive writes as it wouldn't need to install everything first then replace 1gb of data with updates as it will just install 1 set of updates files.

I may or may not have seen this in action but it installs packages and grabs what's updated as needed I believe other systems may do this also.

When I installed last night there were 410 updated packages at 1GB download.
I would have liked it to just install the latest edition all together than to:
Install from LiveCD,
Reboot,
Update 1gb, 410 files,
Reboot again.

In short you want antergos cnchi installer.

No - The rolling release model makes it very difficult.

That may be true for a fixed release distribution but is difficult to implement in a rolling distribution.

Manjaro could be like Antergos - copying the base packages from the ISO and installing the rest from the repos. That already exist as Manjaro Architect.

Many of the editions gives the end user the option of fetching a minimal or full edition.

But in any case an ISO quickly becomes outdated - rolling release model. Which brings me back to the above mentioned - ISO rebuild a few days after an major snap to stable.

Each ISO we produce needs testing. Each package update needs testing. We are currently working with a startup to bring their system over to Manjaro. When done we may adopt some of the techniques to other editions we provide. However all changes will take time.

Doing monthly releases is currently not possible. When we might only restrict it to our flagship editions.

Currently we are working on Manjaro Juhraya 18.1. Some new install media's got already released. Let's see what summer brings.

1 Like

There are 3 options for the installation source:

1. the iso itself, like calamares does it. Advantages: wysiwyg, fast, does not require internet connection. Disadvantages: installed system needs to be updated, new isos need to be released regularly.
  2. repos, like manjaro-architect does it. Advantages: you can choose desktops and software that are not in the isos, the installed system is automatically up to date. Isos need to be released less frequently. Disadvantages: no wysiwyg, working iso is no guarantee of a working installation. Needs internet. Iso-profiles need a lot more maintenance, because they need to be functional all the time instead of just a few times in a year.
  3. iso+repos: install like calamares but update the system after the installation. Advantages: up to date installation. Disadvantages: no wysiwyg, less troubleshooting options if something goes wrong, needs internet connection.

I think the hybrid model misses out the best advantages of both worlds: no freedom of choice, no wysiwyg and still requires internet. It can suit some use cases though.

I personally like the option 2, but frankly the team is too busy for it to work as the main installation method. Most maintainers just don't have time to keep their profiles up to date all the time. If we used it like Antergos does, we would have to seriously limit the number of editions we put out, or we would run into problems like Antergos has (some days installer works, some days it doesn't).

The alternative there (I know this is a small team and everything!! Not demanding anything here, just throwing around ideas that I know take man hours to do and would have no prioritization!) is to do a GUI web installer, line Suse has. Basically Architect, but with a point and click GUI with an easier way of making sure you get everything right.

Except for it fails .. a lot.

[I'm pretty sure there was a time when we did use it .. maybe 0.8.0 days ... but dont anymore]

1 Like

We used thus, which was a fork of cnchi. It also extracted the iso instead downloading the packages.

2 Likes