RX 5700 XT to RX 7800 XT upgrade woes

Hi all,

I just changed my video card from AMD RX 5700 XT to RX 7800 XT and after booting my PC, it does not go further than the boot screen where it writes many such line (those lines were there before the hardware change so I doubt it says anything about the issue)

[ 0.005471] __common_interrupt: 1.55 No irq handler found for vector
[ 0.005471] __common_interrupt: 2.55 No irq handler found for vector
etc.

It does not get to a prompt, it stalls at that screen

Can anyone help resolve this? I have a Manjaro on a bootable USB if it’s possible to troubleshoot from a live CD

Both cards use the same amdgpu kernel driver, so in theory, there should have been no issue.

I suggest trying a newer kernel if you haven’t already; i.e., 6.1 LTS or 6.5 stable.

To diagnose any issues, we would need a full log, not just a little snippet that even you think isn’t relevant.

Please see:

I’m already running the latest 6.1 LTS. Since I can’t even get to a command line, is there something I can do from a live CD to install another Kernel?

This is the full log

Moderator edit: Remove useless photo

That’s not a log, that is was a photo of the same message you already typed above.

I misunderstood. Where would I find such a log?

Crap, even the live CD can’t start the GUI. The boot log stalls here:

[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface

A link within a link… :wink: :point_up:

Which live CD? Try the newest which includes the 6.5 kernel. It will have linux65 in the filename.

The latest LiveCD with 6.5.5.1 does work! I’m very happy to see I don’t have to RMA the video card.

As the link you provided suggests, I typed “manjaro-chroot -a” from a terminal and got this:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your device map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your device map.

The line appeared twice as above. I imagine it’s because I have two SSDs.

I can see and navigate both BTRFS drives from Dolphin. My boot drive has these top level folders:
@
@cache
@home
@log
timeshift-btrfs

Not sure if any of this is relevant

Great. I figured all that was needed was a newer kernel like I mentioned earlier.

Well, before I saunter off for the evening, I’ll suggest attempting to switch to a TTY during a normal failed boot (or via chroot) and installing the 6.5 kernel:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux65

…then of course reboot.

If all of the above fails, I think I’ll just backup my home folder to my secondary drive and do a fresh install / format on my main drive.

Thanks for your help and have a good evening!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.