Install manjaro in acer aspire ES1-533

Trying to install manjaro on the acer aspire ES1-533
It doesnt allow me to change from uefi to legacy and the installer hangs in install bootloader

The command below also freezes when trying through chroot

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

I managed to find this achieved forum topic but unable to get enough help from it.
can someone explain how to
1 .run an architect install without installing the bootloader
2.then manually installing and configuring grub without writing EFI variables
3. moving the generated .efi file it to the default location in /boot/EFI/BOOT .

That makes sense, because you’re booting up in native UEFI mode, so it’s not going to allow you to install a legacy BIOS boot loader.

And even if it did, you’d never be able to boot that way. The legacy BIOS version of GRUB runs in real mode, while a UEFI boot puts the boot processor in 64-bit long mode, and therefore, the UEFI version of GRUB is a 64-bit EFI executable, not an i8086 real-mode executable.

i’m having a hard time understanding you . :sweat:
Can you explain what i can do to resolve the issue?

The command you pasted and of which you say that it failed, has failed because your system boots up in UEFI mode ─ by your own admission, you cannot get it to boot in legacy BIOS mode, so it must have booted up in UEFI mode. So naturally, the command that you issued for installing a legacy BIOS-booting version of GRUB ─ i.e. the --target=i386pc ─ is going to fail. The parameter for installng a native UEFI-booting version of GRUB is --target="x86_64-efi".

Install your system in native UEFI mode and disable Fast Boot and Secure Boot in the UEFI settings. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

My apologies I just realized my stupid mistake i executed the command for efi in the laptop but pasted the wrong one in the thread

the command that i executed

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

for confirmation i executed this again in the laptop and it freezes

Did you create an EFI partition and set the boot flag on it?

there is already an EFI partition with boot ,esp flags

1. Is the drive set to AHCI in the UEFI settings?
  2. What filesystem did you choose?
  3. How did you partition the drive?

Yes

ext4 for manjaro

using gparted i shrinked the windows partition and then created two ext4 partitions

I found a guide but it only has instructions for ubuntu , fedora

If it’s a problem with this particular type of laptop ─ “Designed for Microsoft® Windows™” sticker on it ─ then perhaps you should contact Acer. Unfortunately, from my information, they’re not very cooperative when it comes to GNU/Linux. :thinking:

1 Like