Install Manjaro from Ubuntu Retaining all /home data

Currently i m using ubuntu completly not dual boot
Now i wanted to shift to manjaro retaining all /home data
PS I have different partition for /home

So please help how to do it

If you have a separate partition for home then you just follow the same procedure you would in any other case (see duckduckgo or the wiki or search the forums or ..)

But I generally warn against this because of old configs and similar crud.

while replacing partition while installing i have to replace the whole partion or only / partiton??

Tell it to format the root partition /dev/sda2, but not /dev/sda3. Perhaps it would be best to also format /dev/sda1. It's not strictly necessary, but then you'll have to clean out the Ubuntu stuff from there yourself later.

make your username different from what you used previously so configs wont conflict

3 Likes

This is not exactly your case but I do think you can amend it to fit.

1 Like

I can speak from experience that keeping old configs from a different distro can cause issues. You can keep your /home partition and user directory if you delete all of the config files/folders first. You will need to enter the /home/<user name> directory with the file manager of your choice, select the option to show hidden files, and delete all files and directories that begin with a dot. When installing, you just tell the installer not to format the /home partition and mount it as /home.

Forum kindly sponsored by