Install manjaro and debian linux in the same hard disk

Hi everyone,
I would like to know if there is any guide to install manjar and debian in the same hard disk. Currently, I bought the hard disk (1 tb). My intention is to make the installation clean on the new disk, having as main distro manjaro. My skills in linux are not very advanced or very basic, I know some things.

Uefi or legacy install? Do you wish to share partitions or data between installs? More information is needed to provide useful advice.

There is wealth of information available in beginners guide section of arch linux wiki and I believe beginners guide provided in most manjaro install medias addresses multibooting too. They are good to read in their own right, but also provide a lot of information that is not directly applicable to your use case.

Here is an example of what you can do:

1. For uefi install, create ESP (512mb fat32 partition in the beginning of the drive that is flagged esp). This is shared by all installations and used forbidden booting.
  2. create comfortably sized root partitions for your installations. Maybe 40gb a piece (this overkill, but you have room to spare.
  3. instead of creating separate /home partitions, use the rest of the /data partition. When you have installed both your systems, symlink the default folders of your home folders from both your installations here. So in /data, you would have Downloads, Documents, Pictures and so on, and in your home folders just quicklinks with same name to those folders. This way you can use same username in both installations, and share all the files between systems without messing each installations desktop settings when you do anything in either of them.
  4. let both of your systems install their own grub bootloader, but install also refind to choose between the two when booting.
2 Likes

Or don’t install a bootloader in Debian, only in Manjaro. Run sudo update-grub in Manjaro install and Grub will find Debian.

PS: when I was New to Linux, I’ve read the Manjaro User Guide three times before trying to install.

1 Like

If you have a swap partition, watch out that Debian installer does not format the swap partition.
Copy down the swap partition UUID just in case.
And after installation and before rebooting, make sure the swap UUID is the same.

Manjaro has a beginner’s guide, complete.

A link to the current User Guide is the first link on this page
https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/

Hi everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their answers. I think my biggest concerns are with regards to the issue of partitions.

Legacy.

I want to make a installation that only share my personal data partition (e.g. /media/datos). Each OS should have its own root and /home directory, but I’m not sure What to do with swap partition, create from majaro installation and ommit in debian installer?

Regarding point three, Regarding point three, I understand it more or less. I understand that I’ll use only one username for access to my files and that these will be in a unique partition (e.g. /home/datos). The point that I can’t understand completly is when you talk about:

Does this indicate that even though I do not create a partition for /home, the installer will create the directory with their respective folders (downloads, pictures, videos, etc) and are these the ones I should link to the created partition /media/datos?

Finally, what partition scheme do you recommend? I’ve in mind use some something like:

In Manjaro:

/ (40 gb)
swap (3 gb)
/media/datos (The remaining space)

Here I’ll install grub. (although, It’s not clear to me how it works (or what special considerations) should have with the partition table and grub.)

Install manjaro and then…

Debian:
/ (40 gb)

What do you think about it?

You’ve quoted me instead of @Chrysostomus , but it’s okay.
Welcome to Manjaro.

My advice - omit from Debian installer.
Refer this.

As of this writing with the Debian installer on the current stable images (version 6.0.1), the manual partitioning will default to formatting all found swap partitions on all disks. This will invalidate any UUID entry in the /etc/fstab files of any other installed GNU/Linux based system that is using those swap spaces.

In order for the installer not to format a swap partition, it must manually be marked “Do not use” during partitioning. The installer will format any swap partition not marked “Do not use” and use it for swap space on the installed system. If sharing the swap space with another instance of GNU/Linux you will need to update their /etc/fstab files manually. To do this simply run blkid with root privileges and put the UUID it outputs for the swap partition in place of the old UUID in the other Linux instance’s /etc/fstab files.

Otherwise, Manjaro may not boot after the installation of Debian.
And if you don’t select bootloader or select to partition, nothing gets booted up.
Sigh… swap format… intel ucode…

As for /home, do not share /home between distros
Meaning - do not use the same /home for any 2 distros.

Chrysostomus can reply on the others. :slight_smile:

Yeah. You get /home and default folders inside it even without dedicated home partition. The folder will reside in the root partition then.

I would skip swap partition and use a swap file instead. But that is just personal preference, and in dual boot system with rotating disk swap partition has its merits.

Your partitioning plan seems sound.

1 Like

Ok, thank you again for the support,

Just now I’m installing Manjaro :smiley: Only remaining one issue, after installing debian (without the swap and without the bootloader) I only need to log in manjaro and run:

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Is that enough to upgrade the grub?

Regards!

1 Like

Yes. Good luck.

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I want to thanks for the help of all of you.

Well, now I want to shared with you what was my experience, (In case it is useful for any person in the future).

I decided to try with two flavors of arch derivatives, Manjaro and Antergos (after all I had a trouble with debian installer). My first installation was Manjaro, my partitioning scheme looks like this:

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x418c4c3a

Device     Boot     Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1            2048   83888127   83886080    40G 83 Linux
/dev/sda2  *     83888128  167774207   83886080    40G 83 Linux
/dev/sda3       167774208  174065663    6291456     3G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4       174065664 1953520064 1779454401 848,5G 83 Linux

Here I installed the GRUB and I format my data partition (/dev/sda4) and the swap.

Then, when Manjaro was installed I began with the Antergos installation, I only used the /dev/sda1 for mount and install the SO, do not reformat the swap partition (or anything else) and skip GRUB install. After installation reboot and enjoy!

Note:
If you such as myself, distractedly forgot uncheck grub installation during Antergos install, will notice that after reboot, you only can login in Antergos. To fix this, At Antergos grub menu, go into its grub prompt (grub>) by pressing ‘c’ and at its grub prompt,

grub> search.file /boot/intel-ucode.img root
grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Manjaro grub menu will then appear, enter at the first (top) entry and we will boot into Manjaro. When booted into Manjaro, at terminal, (perhaps it will take a while, be patient).

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

source and more info about this process: restore manjaro boot

Restart and enjoy!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark