After the warm welcome as a noob in this OS, I was motivated enough to “transfer” my latest struggles in hopes to help you -interested- people. Install Davinci Resolve 14 (currently @ beta 4) on Manjaro.
The method I’ll explain, is not perfect. It still has some thumbnail issues and produces an exit error, but the system appears fast, stable and works alongside all its intended filters. I dare say, yes, that includes color correction. Though I’ll reach to that when the time comes, as -for some- it might require a tweak.
By the way, the course we’ll talk about is non-foreign-OS-invasive. It’s all Manjaro stuff. And yes, the app will load. (currently copying a 70GB project from the file server to verify). It has tons of image sequences, so the copy is rather slow from backup.
Have your software installer ready, you’ll need it.
So, go ahead and download the program @ https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
Go to your download folder and type on terminal:
Visit https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/davinci-resolve/ and make sure you have the main dependencies, which I believe are already covered by the latest Manjaro updates. Ignore all driver dependencies such as CUDA & OpenCL for now.
Also, ignore the log4cxx. It’s part of Apache and you don’t want to get entangled with that right now. It’s not vital.
However, do install the libpng & libpng12. Both the normal and the 32bit ones.
You don’t need to download any libs from the Ubuntu distro. It’s all in your system. So, hit the following lines on a terminal:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgstbase-1.0.so.0.1201.0 /usr/lib/libgstbase-0.10.so.0
That should solve all the important dependencies that stop Resolve from launching.
Go to your software installer and download/install CUDA (for those with nVidia cards). For you that have an AMD, let me tell you… you are in luck. Especially if you can install the AMDGPU-Pro, that comes with its own OpenCL package.
Normally, one would go and launch Resolve. However, it has an issue. Its CUDA is buggy and it causes a segmentation fault. So, open up a terminal and hit the following:
sudo nano config.dat
Head to the end of the file, just prior to the double dashes that speak of Parameters to crashes and import the following lines:
LsManager.3.NumGPUs = 1
LsManager.3.GPUMapping = 0
LsManager.3.GPUMappingEnable = 1
Local.GPU.Mode = OpenCL
Save and exit.
The application is now ready to launch.
So launch it. Then do the following steps:
Go to Davinci Resolve menu (top left) > Preferences > Video I/O and GPU settings and change the GPU processing from Auto to OpenCL. Preferably, hit the manual mode below it and make sure your graphics card is selected.
Place in your media storage file, save and exit.
Now, on the exit, it will produce some errors, which I am trying to solve (any help would be appreciated here), but it does not affect the current functionality.
If by any case, you forget to change the preferences (and have an nVidia card), Davinci will not restart. To ensure a launch, shoot the following lines on the terminal:
sudo nano config.dat
And at the end of the file (prior to the crash parameters), add:
And you’ll be fine.
And that’s it! At least the app will come alive!
Color Correction black screen
If by any chance you try to color correct and you see just a black screen on the coloring monitor, simply go to Project Settings and turn the 10-bit down to 8-bit and the issue should be solved.
It’s basically the error you get on exit. It appears to be related to QT5 libs installed in the Resolve folder, so I can’t make any connections at the moment. I thought it was the lack of timeline thumbnails, but they appear normally as an option.
By the way, I got some more time before the project copies over to do further testing, but I believe you’ll have a running beta app to play with.
I found the issue with the exit error.
Just give the application rights to your user. I did the following:
sudo chown -R <myusername> resolve/*
And the issue was solved.
Now the app is squeaky clean!