Install and setup BOINC client to run Rosetta@home for COVID-19

Anyone installed the BOINC client recently?
They updated things, so you can help with Arm64 devices to analyze COVID-19.
I installed boinc-nox and boinctui, but when I start boinctui, I don't know how to configure it.
Anyone who has done this before, or has a source with some more explanation?

I have found the Arch Wiki to be very helpful with these kind of issues, however after having a quick play around following the instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BOINC I could not get my setup to work, but I was using the GUI, and the TUI may be different.

Yes, after installing boinx-nox you should enable and start the service:

sudo systemctl enable --now boinc-client

That should generate a file /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg

Edit that file and enter your desired password. Afterwards restart the service.

sudo nano /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
sudo systemctl restart boinc-client

Afterwards you can run boinctui. When it asks to add a new host, leave the connection details as is and just enter the password you have chosen above.

3 Likes

Thanks. It's running now.
Requesting task at the moment.
But also on my Android phone it can happen that it takes a while before you get the next task.

1 Like

Yeah, took a while until I got something here too on my odroid N2 (just installed boinc today).

It's busy now though. Let it burn :wink:

I also set this up on my vim3 and seems to be working.

EDIT:
It looks like it took a while but my cpu/ram usage finally went up. It is even getting into my zswap space but will not hurt much if any at all.

htop

All of a sudden I received 6 tasks in total and that really is too much for my Pinebook Pro.
I was watching Youtube, and as task 4 kicked in, Youtube crashed.
Now I have one task running and the rest suspended.

With the Android app I can set how many cores I want to use.
I don't see that in the Prefs file: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/PreferencesXml
Anyone knows how I can control this?

Just pause it. Youtube is intensive. It will pick up the other tasks after a while. It appears that this program will try to use all resources it can. I have zswap-arm installed and enabled and seeing un-active ram being pushed to it and at this time it may be even using the zram swap also; it is up to 1/2G right now. It should not slow it down much as I have zram-swap installed to compile firefox and can compile it in @3hrs with distcc using 3 slaves.

Looking at the config you linked you could use this to cut down on the cpu usage:

<max_ncpus_pct>100.000000</max_ncpus_pct>
1 Like

Yes, you are correct.
It's just that I expected an integer, not that I would have to calculate the percentage myself.

I have been trying to chase down where the data directory is today on my install. I have a minimal install. The program seems to say it is using 4.2G of disk space but so far I am unable to find where. It does not appear to be in the home directory or /tmp or /var/tmp although some related files are in those directory. Since it is a minimal install it does not have a .local or a .cache directory at this time so I am beginning to wonder if they need to be there.

In doing so I found in a created file ~/client_state.xml where it looks like one could set the number of cpu's to use:

<p_ncpus>6</p_ncpus>

Also I found another generated file ~/gui_rpc_auth.cfg ( the same as /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg) which was evidently created when the program was first run.

Scratch what I said above about the paths. I found where all of the program files are being stored. /var/lib/boinc. There is where you want to change the configs like:

/var/lib/boinc/client_state.xml   # <p_ncpus>6</p_ncpus>

The reason I was wanting to find the config files is I wanted to set up 2 more arm boards to play with this:

Basic_mass_deployment

I now have my pi4 and vim3 working in tandem. I can not get my rock64pro added in until I get a bigger sdcard.

EDIT:

I now have 4 devices crunching. Vim3, Rockpro64, RPi4 and my desktop.

2 Likes

There is something strange with max_ncpus_pct. When I set it to 16.666666, it runs on one core (as expected). I tried setting it to 33.333333, but it's still runs on one core. Setting it higher, will activate all cores.

On my LG G5 with the Android app, I can select 2 (of 4) cores and it's working as expected.
I installed the Android app on my Samsung Chromebook Plus with the same Rockchip RK3399 hexacore and I see the same behaviour as on my Pinebook Pro. I select 2 cores, but it falls back to 1 core. I select 3 cores and it activates all 6 cores!

Maybe their software does not know how to deal with the Dual-core ARM Cortex-A72 MPCore and Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 MPCore processors.

Hi,
i have tried on my raspberry pi 4 running manjaro linux. but not successful. care to help me?

What is the problem?

Could be an issue with an expired certificate.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by