Inode extent tree could be narrower ignored message

Sometimes after an upgrade or by using a shutdown command from terminal, I receive numerous messages at the next boot for example:

/dev/sdb1: Inode 655658 extent tree (at level 2) could be narrower. IGNORED.

I use rescue disc to boot to run e2fsck to compact the extent trees to erase messages and for good measure ran it across both drives:

e2fsck -fpDv -E bmap2extent /dev/sda1
e2fsck -fpDv -E bmap2extent /dev/sdb1

Can this command be made to run before drives are mounted on all partitions to automatically compact extent trees at boot time?

I suspect filesystem operations like this should be left non-automated, just in case.

I see, this is about preserving file integrity. If the extent trees were auto compacted in every situation, it might lead to data loss. That would be a regression instead of a feature.

I’ll maintain manual disk management in these cases. Maybe I’m just OCD, I tend to notice any journalctl message or system log that seems out of place.

Yeah - this particular operation might be generally safe, but then if it’s only needed in a small number of cases (e.g. it hasn’t come up on the forum before) then making it a default introduces something that probably doesn’t really need to be there.

In my case, how do I set the system to run this full command on boot?

I see how you can input for fscking with fstab, but since this is a specific set of commands with e2fsck, how does one do it before the drives are mounted and in lieu of the fstab?

closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.