Infamous 19/2 update broke my system, what to do?

Writing this from phone.

Ever since the 19/2 updates, I installed them using Pamac. It just closed on it’s own at some point of time, and I figured nothing was amiss. I leave the computer be for a few minutes, and I’ve set it to log out. All of a sudden, in bold text, a message takes the screen: something like “The locker is broken and cannot function. To log in, you need either ConsoleKit or LoginD, none of which are installed on your system.”

I pull a cold reboot, and when I boot up, I see the text that flashes by, usually like

“[OK] Starting xxx.service”,

But instead among the messages I see:

[FAILED] Loading Loader Kernel Modules.

[FAILED] Starting Network Manager. See systemctl services NetworkManager.service for more information.

I go to the SDDM Login screen, enter in, and the splash screen freezes; a dialog box pops up:

“KWin is unstable and appears to have crashed multiple times in a row. Please choose another window manager.” I only have kwin_x11 installed, so I choose that and enter. Now I seem to be stuck in a desktop-less, window manager-less limbo, where dragging windows looks like that animation in Microsoft Solitaire, where it looks like painting with windows. I only have Yakuake and Konsole to save me, and that drop- down search menu. Running pacman doesn’t work-

“$ pacman

pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libid2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such directory”

So now Pacman doesn’t even exist on my system! What do I do? I’m stuck in limbo here.

I think you will need to chroot in then.
There are a few tutorials lying around.
You will need to make a live usb if you dont have one handy.

How do I go about that? Procuring a live USB is no biggie for me.

like I said … theres tutorials around, on the forums and wiki … like this one :

or this one

I would like to stick with Manjaro, I’ve gotten used to it.

No offense intended.

Infamous

That’s an egregious mischaracterisation.

As in, the GUI pgm, within your standard Plasma graphical session, despite this being a huge update involving systemd, & Plasma update from 5.14.5 to 5.15.0?

Yet apparently you’ve not habituated yourself into pre-reading the voluminous forum info that would have assisted you not to bork your system, by performing this update in a fundamentally different way to what you actually did?

I’m sorry if i sound mean/unfair, but i can sympathise with people who bork their system & then own their error. Conversely I struggle to feel benevolent to those who bork it but then go directing blame elsewhere.

6 Likes

Thanks

Seriously, you’re recommending Gentoo and Slackware, when you have no grasp of even basic the functions in Manjaro. I read your post history. From the knowledge level displayed there, I would recommend a static distro like Linux mint for yourself.

Losing your internet connection with your r8168 adapter had absolutely nothing to do with Manjaro being unstable. That is an issue with the manufacturer Realtek, not Manjaro. Perhaps you should blame Realtek for this driver failure instead.

Manjaro is perfectly stable when you know the proper procedures to follow before and during updates. I have been using Manjaro for over a year and I have not encountered any stability issues.

If you wish to migrate to another distro, that would probably be best until you gain more knowledge on how to manage a rolling distro. Posting on multiple threads that Manjaro is unstable and people should leave, simply comes off as an immature temper tantrum.

This kind of behavior reminds me of trying to teach my son how to tie his shoes. The shoes were not the issue, the patience to learn was. Perhaps you’re simply one of those individuals that is more suited to velcro rurunners

If that is the case simply switch to a shoe that is easier for you to manage. Posting all over the internet about how unreliable laced shoes are seems rather laughable to me.

Simply switch to another distro if you are unhappy with Manjaro. There is no need to bad mouth Manjaro all over the place if you are unsatisfied. Simply leave, and find another OS that meets your needs. Apple and Microsoft have made billions from user’s such as yourself, perhaps you are more suited to their offerings.

Bye, bye.

10 Likes

This should fix you right up.

1 Like

That fixed me right up. Thanks to everyone’s advice! Even @kdemeoz!

2 Likes

Yeah, watch out for that nasty woman – really she should just go away & eat concrete.

Am happy to hear it’s now all good for you… & most importantly, future updates probably will go more nicely for you.

EDIT: If you’ve not yet seen it, i heartily recommend you read @philm’s excellent info here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smiJidq3o5s&lc=UgzUr_p_bWYst1hWLSx4AaABAg – & so i hope you might now have an inkling why posters who came on with invalid negative posts incurred “feedback” in the forum.

You have made a huge step forward now that you know how to repair an unbootable system. Basically there are three main methods of keeping your system bootable with regards to updates.

1): Prevention

Always read the release notices prior to any update. This will alert you to any special measures you might need to take to avoid a system breakage.

Rather than using a GUI package manager to perform your updates, always use the terminal as it is more reliable.

Downloading the update packages before updating is good insurance, just in case the update happens to break your networking. This will allow you to complete the update even if your network connection is broken.

The safest method of updating is to perform your updates from a TTY (or run level 3) for the maximum level of safety.

2): Repair

Learn to repair your system after a bad update.

This can be accomplished from the emergency shell if it is a simple case of finishing of an interrupted update.

More severe breakages may require using chroot to perform the repair. This is a skill best learned before your system becomes unbootable, so that you are familiar with the process.

3): Restore from backup.

There are two main methods that are commonly used to restore an unbootable system from a backup.

The first method is via making a full system image via a program such as Clonezilla. The image of your drive is restored by using a Clonezilla boot disk. This method is almost guaranteed to successfully restore your system as long as the image was created properly.

The more common method of restoring is via an incremental backup created with rsync. The most commonly used program for this is TimeShift. TimeShift comes pre-installed on the Manjaro Gnome live boot disk. Using the Manjaro boot disk you can roll back your system to an earlier date when it was bootable.

TimeShift is a very good program that many rely upon for easy backup and restore. Be aware that there could be rare instances where TimeShift may not be able to restore your system. In those rare cases it is best to have also created a full system image for 100% restore insurance.

Summary:

If you follow the prevention methods you should rarely ever encounter update breakages.

If you learn the recommended repair methods you should be able in most cases to recover from an unexpected update breakage.

If you backup regularly should never have to worry about your system being left in an unbootable state.

Forewarned is forearmed. Learn best practices, so you’re not one of the unfortunates complaining that their system is broken.

3 Likes

I have no complaints about Manjaro, and indeed really liked it.

Until that update!

Have had to leave.
Unable to figure out reliable backup procedures.
Unable to do updates properly in Konsole.
Unable to find things easily on the extensive, well-written Wiki.

Have concluded that my skill levels are too low to use this excellent distro. I tried Gnome, KDE and Deepin, the latter being my favorite for eye candy appeal, the KDE favorite for better control, but when system wouldn’t boot, nor 2 other OS’s, after that update, and after a couple of days being helped by long-toothed experts here who kindly put in quite a bit of time, the restored system once again went pear-shaped after the 900 MB update was run again (I thought it being 2 days later that hopefully all would be well, but although I could still boot afterwards, many programs were freezing, wouldn’t open etc.), so I reluctantly had to give up.

But I don’t have any complaints. The Linux world is different than the commercial one where you pay your $$ and (rightly) expect things to work.

Some suggestions:
I ended up installing Pop_OS because
a) both of my Manjaro distros in livecd mode couldn’t access internet (incorrect wrong PW message)
b) if you do a full install - which I did to rub out all the conflicted/missing grub files jamming things up presumably despite hours trying to access two other OS, including my preferred Deepin - it gives you a Restore partition and a Boot partition so in theory the backup-restore business is (somewhat) taken care of
c) two other distros I tried to install in the existing partition set up, and then in a new set up with (improperly formatted Boot partition) etc. didn’t work, so I ended up using this one, almost by chance, because it did.

Recommendation: Manjaro consider having something like this as an option during installation (a restore partition), or having a way to annul a recent update easily and revert to pre-update state. Something like that.

Anyway, all best. Manjaro is a superior operating system - or set of systems - with a great community. But it does require a certain level of skill to operate, and even after using computers since the early 80’s (have never been a techy with it though), clearly lack the skill level to do so.

In any case, and again, No Complaints!!

1 Like

The password not being accepted at the prompt is a known Deepin bug (not Manjaro). There is an easy workaround, simply enter the password from within the control panel.

I hope you come back to Manjaro when you feel more up to it’s challenges.

Best of luck on whichever distro you choose.

1 Like
closed #17

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.