Improving VM Performance?

Morning, folks. I am running Manjaroa on a system with an i5 @ 3.8GHz, with 16GB of RAM.

I have W10 installed using VirtManager, but performance is a bit... well, sluggish... I have allocated half my cores and half my RAM. It seems that the CPU is the bottle neck, as it seems to stay pegged at 100% for even the most basic tasks. All I need the VM for is occasional tasks that require IE (some admin work in Office 365) and powershell.

Any ideas as to what I can do to improve performance in the VM? Please let me know if further information is needed to help you help me, and I'll do my best to fetch it.

Thanks

I have never actually used QEMU/KVM, but did you increase the amount of video RAM being used for the virtual machine? Also, I don't know if 2 cores is strong enough to run the VM efficiently, mostly since Windows 10 is so hungry for it. I personally bought a Ryzen 1700x in the past to help with virtualization due to having more threads to work with.

Maybe try using Virtualbox and see how well your computer can emulate using that?

1 Like

From my understanding, using virtio may improve the performance.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU#Installing_virtio_drivers

Although I switch to VirtualBox at the end. My QEMU Windows 10 VM always has some audio issue.

Also on i5-4570 3.4GHz - Have you tried VirtualBox?

I run W10 with 2 cores and 4GB memory - no problems.
I also run W10 with 4 cores and 8GB memory - no problems.

I used VirtualBox first and had poor performance. I figured i'd tried virtmanager to see if it was any different.

I'll try the virtio suggestion above and see what shakes

UPDATE: I increased the cores to 3 and increased the video RAM, and performance is much better now. The CPU usage graph used to stay all the way at top, but now it is reasonable and I can use powershell without waiting all day for it to open and/or type :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions, etc.

If you have extra graphics cards you can try GPU passthrough, I am using it now to play 3d games.

Moved the solved sign to post 2 since it is that post which mentions the solving idea.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#QEMU_3.0_audio_changes
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Passing_VM_audio_to_host_via_Scream_and_IVSHMEM
Hello, it seems that QEMU fixed the audio bug during the iteration, and of course there is another way to make the audio work.:grin:

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark