Important EXT4 problem in kernel 6.1.64 (and maybe others)

When i look at the developer mails, it looks to me that 6.5 was also affected…

Im still pretty lost here…

The bug was only present in release candidate versions of later kernels (specifically 6.5-rc1). See comments here - Ext4 data corruption in stable kernels [LWN.net]

What is a Cryptomator low level bug?

Is this something related with luks?

so as long as you weren’t using 6.5-rcs or 6.1 before the recent fix you are safe?

Correct (and anyone who runs a release candidate kernel on a production system doesn’t get to complain about bugs :stuck_out_tongue: ).

2 Likes

So me as a 6.1 LTSC User, have the full right to complain :smile:

Yeah :frowning: It doesn’t look good that a cherry-picked commit from a rc kernel was back-ported to a stable LTS kernel…

1 Like

@ All
Is this data loss also connected, when i copy a clean file from ext4 and paste it to a exfat Partition?

That this file having a chance of getting corrupted in the copy progress? In the E-Mails the descriptions only looks vice versa, sample: copy a exfat file to ext4 partition. Right?

And what can happend, when i copy a corrupt ext4 file on a exfat partition?
Is there a chance, that my whole exfat partition getting destroyed after time?

Im worrying about my backup exfat drives :frowning:

No. It happens only when writing to ext4.

Then you’ve got a corrupted file and a copy of that corrupted file.

Not from that, no. But 5 billion years from now, Earth will be consumed by the sun, and I suspect that your exfat drive won’t survive that. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

For Game & Ext4 users:

You don’t know if there are corrupted games on Steam, Steam has the ability to check games with checksum and fix them.

Select any installed/updated game → Right click on game to open menu → propertiesInstalled FilesVerify integrity of game files

1 Like

The bug is supposedly fixed now right?

I updated BG3 yesterday with 25ish GB, my partition (ext4) during the process became almost full (12GB free), then when download and install process was done, 130GB free. Makes zero sense. I just cross my fingers that my games work, I haven’t tried them all. :open_mouth:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.