"import" processes continuously taking screenshots

Since a few days I’m noticing that every few minutes my laptop’s fans start screaming. From htop I see a lot of import processes, as shown in this screenshot:

As you can see there’s a lot of those, taking screenshots of my windows and saving it to a temporary folder. When it happens it lasts about 1 minute.
I suppose that the purpose is creating the previews of my windows for displaying them when I press Alt+Tab, but it happens too frequently and it takes too much resources for being a normal behavior.
Besides the CPU and the fans, I’m also worried about the amount of disk writes this process is doing.

I’m running Manjaro Budgie on a Dell XPS 9560.

0 Likes

Can you show the PPID (parent ID) for all these import proceses? And not only the PPID but the full command line of that command.

0 Likes

It’s Budgie preview

0 Likes

Incredibly strange. I ran htop for a minute or 5 now. Max cpu usage was 1.2 % on backgrounder and/or import. Is this an unmodified version of previews? What graphics driver is used?
Previews creates window previews according to an algorithm, monitoring a.o. window z-order change. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the issue on Ubuntu Budgie.

0 Likes

Yes, I simply added the Window Previews in the top Panel.

▶ inxi -Gxxx             
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:591b 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1c8d 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: intel compositor: budgie-wm resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.4 compat-v: 3.0 
           direct render: Yes 

The nvidia driver is 418.43

0 Likes

closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes