I'm using a Laptop should I switch windows to manjaro xfce?

Friends, I’ve never used linux before and my system slowed down.I don’t play many games, and the only game i play is Naruto online.Can i run this game if i switch to Linux? It is a browser game and flash supported.I should use manjora? Easy and fast to use? And I’m using an nvidia video card, does this create a problem?

My system features:
4 gb ram
intel core i3 7100u 2.4ghz
nvidia geforce 940 mx 2 gb ram

It doesn’t matter what OS you use as Flash is dead and unsupported:

I like that name :star_struck: Get ready for a spin.

1 Like

And what about other things? Should I use Manjaro? And is it easy and fast to use?

Please answer my questions.

Your system suits very well with Manjaro xfce.
Xfce is lightweight and customizable.
Thunar as file manager is the one i prefer among every single other file managers.
Xfce has a lot of nice plugins to put in the panel (called taskbar in Windows language) but yet customizable too.
Those panels are, in my opinion, the more versatile ones.

I do not have a very powerful machine, but even if i had one, i would use Xfce.

I would advise you to have a 4 Go swap in addition to your standard partitions.
Then, multi boot with Windows is easy if you want that.

I tried many distros, i prefer Manjaro. But as with every distros, you have to know that there is learning curve to be comfortable with it, but this does not require technical skills, apart from few cli commands.

Go for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do I get a lot of errors when installing Manjaro? I read that the nvidia graphics card is a problem in many forum.

Try it, and you will see.
If you have errors, come back here and expose your problems.
Nvidia errors are not related with Manjaro per se anyway.

1 Like

Your specs are good enough to run any version of manjaro really well and it will be a lot snapier than Windows. Both xcfe and kde are lightweight but cinnamon budgie are nice as well especially for Windows users coming over. Best advice I can give is try a few different DE in a vm or as a live usb and see what you prefer. If you are not gaming or anything then use the open source drivers (nouveau) and you will have no issues. Also make sure you have a swap partition/file as you only have 4gig of ram

This is not a problem : 8 years ago, I bought a magazine with a Linux CD (Ubuntu Studio), I had a live session, then installed it as a dual boot, then realized I spent 4 weeks with not a single W$boot and ever since have been on a GNU/Linux OS.

With your need (apart burried flash) try this :
Ventoy to create a USB stick (mini 4 Go)
then
ISOs projet DFiso & take the amd 64 one, then slide it on your ventoy and check a live session before installing (obviously prior to all this you saved all your data on an external device)

You can also try this one : Manjaro - XFCE

Thank you very much for your answer, that was a good answer. How can i use Linux live usb? Is there a guide for this?

in reply to the question in the title of this thread:

I’m using a Laptop should I switch windows to manjaro xfce?

No.
!

… you’ll be in to quite a ride - and on how to do familiar things … very differently

As @nam1962 has said create a bootable usb with Ventoy or a similar tool and just boot from usb. This will boot you into a live session where you can use linux/play with it before you actually install it

You can’t compare xfce and kde in terms of weight, that is not a good advice in my opinion.
Ram consumption is not the same at all. You probably could use kde with 4 go ram but i will never recommend it, even with swap, as swap is way slower.
Then, with a modest cpu, kde with kwin is not fast in terms of user experience, you “feel it” and once again you can’t compare with xfce.

As @Vinylshakerz is pretty beginner, kde is not a good recommendation, in my opinion, with its hundreds options/settings, you can be lost easily

I would recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon to a beginner. Yes, the learning curve is quite low, but so is the initial frustration threshold. A user who is serious about Linux will sooner or later want to try other distros anyway. For this (IMHO) Manjaro is a very good choice. I have set up and continue to maintain several computers of Windows migrants and have the fewest problems with Mint. I love Manjaro (as a disarmed Arch), but not all users are the same …

PS.: I use Manjaro now for 4 years (with interruptions) and still have many questions …

2 Likes

I installed manjaro xfce on an old pc, here are the specs:

• i5-2520m
  • intel hd 3000
  • 6gb Ram
  • SSD-256gb

For now, it woks well, but if you want to use more programs that browser like some games could be a problem with ram. I played dota 2 and cs go, and it was not very playable. If you want a help about installing you can find a guide how to install on Youtube. My advice, at installing choose Swap(with hibernate).

P.S You can try Linux before installing Linux. It will boot automatically to Linux from USB before launching the installer. Also, if you have a problem there are people who can help you. At the start is hard, but with time you will get better with Linux.

Good luck :upside_down_face:

Hello there, welcome to the community

Let’s start with the basics and the fact that flash died few months ago. There is no flash on Windows, Linux or just anywhere. I am not sure whether you can port the game to some program, but officially, flash is dead.

Your equipment is more than enough for this distribution.
Also, my personal recommendation would be KDE Plazma and not XFCE. For some reason, XFCE never worked on any of my three machines correctly.
( Might not be the case with your laptop ).
But I’d still choose Plazma. It’s also easier to customize, UI is out of this world and I had few issues that are really easy to repair.

Since you are new, make sure to read everything that is given before and after the installation. Don’t delete your Windows on accident while installing this distribution.
( Always make a copy of your data. If you don’t have enough external memory, make a partition on your PC with PartitionWizard and use it as a mini back up drive ). ( I enjoy Cloud services for I can’t trust myself with hardware and liquids ).

Also, environment is not quite as in Windows. We have a store where most of the apps come from and usually Terminal is also used depending of the environment and what kind of application you need to download. It’s much more than that, but this a first step.

In the beginning it may seem complicated but you’ll get used to it.

Your old laptop will be faster, that much I can promise. But you’ll see how much you love these kind of environments when you try them. I can’t say you’ll like or dislike them. ( I like them more than Windows ).

If you have more questions, if you need a step-by-step help, don’t hesitate to ask.

I’ll try to help with my limited Linux knowledge. :slight_smile:

Yes and ?
Here is NOT the place to show your incompetences. Here the question is to help the OP deciding on W$ vs Xfce.

Again, I advise testing with a live USB.

I’m very confident in the test outcome as I personally converted several tens of newcomers and had several million readers of my french xfce tutorials.
Debian if one wishes to mainly use the laptop, Manjaro if one want’s to extract the juice of the experience.
Xfce is deadly stable and infinitely tweekable.

(Here I hide the panel)

1 Like

There is a guide for how to create a Live USB and install Manjaro User Guide
There is also a .pdf copy of the guide on the Live USB

We can agree to disagree. We have different machines with different experiences. That’s why I told that kid to experience the distros himself. Period.