I'm in Skype hell.

Same issue on my computer gnome stable with latest skype version: skypeforlinux-preview-bin-8.51.76.87-2
It works well with the previous one: skypeforlinux-preview-bin-8.51.76.74-1.
Cheers,

1 Like

@rbrick49 @d7rk and the plot thickens ... :alien: :ghost:

Ok, I noticed I had a pending update and it was skype. I just updated it and it doesn't run. I then downgraded it to the last version and it runs again. There's a definitely a problem with the new version.

3 Likes

ok thanks for that

mhhh, just check again now, both of you where right
strange, I deed search two or three time before, even after updating the DB, it was not appearing :crazy_face:

Yes the plot O the plot.
So why did i install skypeforlinux-stable-bin 3 hrs ago and it works fine then :+1:
their are no updates for it.

As for skype- secure the name says it all so secure skype does not run that what you call secure lol. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

still thickening ... :robot::clown_face:

@mbb :man_shrugging:
@notageek :eyeglasses:

Seeing the discussion in skypeforlinux-stable-bin comment section, it seems that skype needs unprivileged user namespaces to run which is disabled by default in Manjaro kernels.
To enable it temporarily , use this command sudo sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1.

7 Likes

Yes. That's what I think. Everything was fine until I upgraded Skype last Friday. Then everything went to hell and drug me alone for the ride.

(It's a Microsoft conspiracy! They're after us again!)

I have skypeforlinux-stable-bin 8.51.0.86-2 on XFCE appears to be working OK
updated about 6 hours ago for me

if problem continues despite reinstalling, only user home folder data would remain

rm -r ~/.config/skypeforlinux/

and remove any other folders/files in home that may have been added by other skype versions

and reboot before launching skype for first run

I had skype fail to load in the past - never gets to login screen and notification is blank white blob
at the time i had been assuming skype would start ok after install like other Linux packages
but considering that skype was microsoft tat, and their tat usually requires a restart
appears to be what got it working for me
and skype has been ok with updates for over a year once it got through first-run configuration

i dont use skype, but i just installed to test it.

herecura/skypeforlinux-stable 8.51.76.87-1
    Skype for Linux - Stable/Release Version

install > run > done. that's from the herecura repo btw.

1 Like

Yeah, skypeforlinux 8.51 won't run for me either. Looking at the AUR comments, there are real problems for lots of people. Downgrading to 8.50 works for now.

There's also web.skype.com for skype in a browser. I got it to work with Firefox by going into about:config and adding general.useragent.override.skype.com with a value of Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.113 Safari/537.36 (to make them think I'm using Chrome).

1 Like

I would suggest a title change. It's the Apparmor hell. :japanese_goblin::fire:

if not 'stable' version maybe skypeforlinux-preview-bin v8.51.76.87-2

saedlar93! You're my hero. That worked. I've signed in and I'm waiting for me interview 30 minutes before it started. I will try to install skype-secure after the interview. Thank you!

Is there a way to make this permanent?

(Also, I was kidding about blonds. I'm in love with one...)

1 Like

I don't think so. At least not for me. I'm not using Apparmor. Apparmor seems to be pretty difficult to use...I guess that's for another thread.

1 Like

On all My installs If I have to use Skype, I do it via Flatpak : https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.skype.Client

1 Like

Sure. Create a configuration file in /etc/sysctl.d/ called *.conf (for example, 99-custom.conf) and
put the following content in it.

#Enable unprivileged user namespaces (needed to run Skype on my system)
kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1

At next boot, this kernel parameter should be automatically set as desired.

Source:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Linux_Containers#Enable_support_to_run_unprivileged_containers_(optional)
(Talks about the relevant kernel parameter in an out-topic article for this case.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sysctl

4 Likes

and the plot has thinned, mark it solved bro @marcbo

also tell us how the interview went

1 Like

i think I have found my problem,I a running kernel 5.3 0n xfce where skype doesnt work but on cinammon I am running kernel 5.2 and skype works fine.
just installed kernel 5.3 on cinammon now skype wont work
went back to kernel 5.2 on cinammon and skype works fine

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by