Illyria Wallpaper Contest

artwork
wallpaper
contest

@SGS There is a reason why the second one has a plain background, and it’s not because I was too lazy to make one :grin:, but because a plain dark background makes the text-logo thingie stand out more and more special, with the maia-inserts popping out.

If you add anything to the picture, it overshadows the logo and diminishes it’s effect. If you also include some additional maia colur, it makes the maia-inserts look tiny and insignificant in comparison. (Although the “less is more” principle is not always true, I think this is a good example for it).

Therefore I think that your version would work better with a flat monochrome logo, or without any logo.

That’s my analysis of it, but of course that’s only my point of view.

If you like your version better, that’s ok, too.

1 Like

Over taste you could not discuss :wink:
It was only for the 2.monitor session, it look not consistent for my taste :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, ok, I see. But then you should recreate the first one and modify the second one accordingly so only a little bit of the first one goes over to the second screen, leaving some more room to the logo.
This version is also nice, but would work better without the logo.

2 Likes

The background of this wallpaper is a painting that I did when I was into surrealist art in the early 1970s. I stretched the image to 1920 x 1080, covered the original coat of arms with the Manjaro coat of arms. Then I added the Illyria coat of arms from Wikipedia. This is what I got:

5 Likes

Illyria on the rise

9 Likes

(MIALNLJYARRIOA…??? :confused: :grin:)

9 Likes

@bogdancovaciu your links are broken :frowning: Could you please re-upload?

1 Like

I knew that will happen even tho i chose that the link and the file to not expire.
Here is the folder i have on mediafire, with some older and newer wallpapers
Should be accessible and give a preview … I’ll update it from time to time if something new comes up.
I could also make an archive with all of them so are easy to download locally. Also the names can be changed, as i’m not good at giving names :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a quick attempt for you retro lovers! A little RGB offset and CRT pixels go a long way. I also have a 1080p and 8k version.

3 Likes

No offence but for retro the logo is too new :wink: :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Oh… i didn’t mean retro manjaro. Just retro aesthetic in general, and in this case the image itself isn’t retro, but the subtle hints of the CRT pixel effect and the RGB offset. I have tons of retro wallpapers and posters I make, but the top post asked for these wallpapers to adhere to Maia theming as well.

0 Likes

6 Likes

@micsim35 could you maybe provide a version in 1920x1080 resolution of this one?
edit: forget it. Just realized that the original in your dropbox is way bigger than necessary anyway :wink: thanks.

0 Likes

@trashing88 I like this one. I have a little problem with the aspect ratio of this one.
Could you maybe achieve one just a little higher with resolution 1920x1080? That would be great, thank you! :slight_smile:

0 Likes

@oberon no worries, glad you found it okay. My wallpapers were made with UHD panel owners in mind too which is why they are much higher resolution

0 Likes

We already have some really GREAT contributions! Thank you everybody! A bunch of very talented artists here, indeed!

For the default wallpaper I think it would be good to have something a little more colorful - maia colors, ok, but maybe one or the other colorful impulse, like we had in the last one.
It needs a little contrast to be interesting enough, if you know what I mean …

3 Likes

This looks nice, but feels uncomfortable because of resemblence to golden dawn icons.
(as with most, its a misuse of more generalized graphics … but you know what I mean)

0 Likes

I might as well throw this into the mix, cyan is closest to maia but there are multiple colour variants:

0 Likes

3 Likes

last one, not sure if it’s too late since the topic has been unstickied

0 Likes