If Pacman asks "Would you like to replace whatever file... [Y/n]" what's the risk of saying no?

I didn’t see a Pacman category, so here I am. I decided to “pacman -Syu” my laptop (it’s been a few months) and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade some files…

hunspell-en_US → extra/hunspell-en_us
python-dbus → extra/dbus-python
python-dbus-common → extra/dbus-python

I blindly pressed “Enter” to “Yes” accept the defaults (to upgrade some files) but apparently the new replacement files created conflicts which aborted the upgrade. So I tried again and pressed “no no no no” and now the packages are downloading.

Did I do the right thing?

The prompts were mentioned in a couple of the Announcement thread.

I looked on my Manjaro XFCE system and the package hunspell is in the extra repository and is version 1.7.0-3.

After a successful install I would issue the commands below to make sure what is installed on your system is the same as what is in your sync db.

pacman -Si hunspell  # get info on package in sync db (downloaded from repo)
pacman -Qi hunspell  # get info on package in local db (installed on system)

I would have responded “Y” because I figure 99.9% of the time the pacman environment knows better than me. I wonder if there was another issue at the time. I usually try again, sometimes at a different time.

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu
1 Like

It’s not asking you to replace files. It is asking you to replace packages. You should replace them because those packages were replaced in the original repos. If you’re getting conflicts, please let us know what they are so that we can help you resolve them.

3 Likes

What forum category should I use to report conflicts?

Just put them here in #support or in #support:applications.

And thank you in advance for showing us the courtesy of asking what forum category to post in, because most of our members simply don’t care, and then we have to move their threads all of the time. :man_facepalming:

:beers:

1 Like