If AUR is unsupported what is the point in Pamac

It isnt. Though … there have been quite a number of instances when it is.

I maybe in the minority here but I prefer a gui package manager. I like to browse the repos with a gui and also install with a gui. Pamac doesn’t just handle aur, snap and flatpak it also let’s users use both the cli and gui to install/update. Pamac also helps resolve dependencies when updating as well.

All in all pamac is a lott more noob friendly than pacman (some users will see that as a bad thing I know)

3 Likes

Well if you vouch for a package that removes your /bin and /etc, something’s wrong with you.( I’m talking about installing packages ‘after’ reading comments normal people can understand ’ this package bricks my system’ or ‘this package steals my data’ not PKGBUILDS).
I’m not bashing anyone here, I’m all up for warning the average user that ‘it’ll be your fault you used AUR despite the warnings’, but the AUR isn’t a ‘bad’ or ‘wrong’ place that it is made out to be, and nither reading PKGBUILDS is the forte of every user. But I’m against the notion that AUR should ‘only’ be used by users capable of understanding PKGBUILDS, some best practices( no. of votes, reading comments etc.) should be enough for normal users.

in the end it’s all about trust (in someone else’s abilities and/or intentions)
vs yourself being able to make an informed decision
as has been said …

and it is like this literally everywhere - not just re software - and not just re linux …

1 Like

I bet the OP is laughing his hat off … :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, I think the discussion has gone off topic( I take due credit for it)

You forgot the rest of the story…

Then @winnie swoops in to save the day and introduces you to Windows 11, and thus all goodness and happiness was restored in the world once again. :angel:

Windows 11 will not

• …delete your /bin/ direcotry
  • …delete your /etc/ directory
  • …require you to read PKGBUILDs
  • respect your privacy (I was just told by my higher-ups to redact this statement. Apologies.)
2 Likes

Union here.
We can freely state windoze does not respect you or your privacy. :wink:

3 Likes

Fantastic analogy - Incredible and Glorius :100: :+1:

6 Likes

You should add that it does not respect you as an individual , either. Or respect the you might not have the budget to buy a new PC to have it “supported.” Or that you might not need or even want a whole new computer…

2 Likes

Greta Thunberg forgot to sing, “Microsoft can shove forced obsolescence up its arse” at COP26.

Because

1. Pacman does not handle AUR
  2. CLI AUR helpers as yay or paru are in my not-based-upon-anything opinion in minority use throughout all Manjaro users (related to n°3)
  3. Pamac is a GUI AUR helper (and package manager) developed for Manjaro, by Manjaro. And I think used by a majority.

So every time there is an issue with AUR, statistically there are huge chances it comes from using Pamac, not caused by Pamac.

Goodnight, folks! :wave: Using Manjaro and the AUR has been equivocated to dealing with illicit drugs in a shady alleyway. That’s a wrap! Don’t forget to tune into our next weekly show, same time every Sunday!

5 Likes

… well, its not as shady as the .exe alleyway :laughing:

… to be clear the point was more to highlight interaction or competence … not really to demonize the aur.

2 Likes

I wonder if this thread lands in the “Top Ten List of First-Time Posts with the Most Replies”? Maybe we can strike a deal with BuzzFeed.

2 Likes

Oh my sweet child.
I dont have the heart to find them now … but this wouldnt make the top 50.
We are talking 300+ replies in some.

archived.forum.manjaro.org

1 Like

Alright. Time to break some records. :v: I’m going to create a new user account and my very first thread will be titled:

Which distro is best for me? “Manjaro” or “Linux” or “GNU OS”?

I’ll be sure to @ tag every moderator of this forum to invite healthy discussion around this crucial decision-making process. I might also inquire which one handles my .msi and .exe installers the best.

1 Like

Ah, now I know where you where going with your previous comment.
(or rather the comment of: @linux-aarhus :wink: )
… adding another reply to the statistic …