Ideas to unify ARM boot sequences and kernel namings

Yes.

Just grab one board, boot into Uboot cmdline, check if you have bootefi command.

Cool, so what we just need to do, is create a uboot script that launches the EFI file you described here?:

Cool, so what we just need to do, is create a uboot script that launches the EFI file you described here?:

In fact, we don’t even need to do that.
Just remove /boot/extlinux/ directly, then uboot with EFI support will try to load the EFI file in the described location.

Although this only works for systemd-boot.

All we really need to do is to update various uboot, linux and vendor kernel packages, to allow them to coexist with each other, without any naming/file conflicts.
And add extra systemd-boot config file for each kernel.

Then, make sure all boards already have their fs using GPT table, and have an ESP partition (normally also used as /boot), which is a requirement for systemd-boot.

Finally, on those boards, run bootctl install --esp-path=/boot --graceful.

Then enjoy the wonder.

There are other small modifications, like the vendor kernels also needs extra hooks for libalpm to update their initramfs.

But for my CM4, I just changed the following packages to allow them co-exists:

• uboot-raspberry
    Of course, still need all my existing changes to support CM4

• linux
    Remove the conflicts/provides

• linux-rpi4-mainline
    Remove the conflicts/provides
    Add rename the kernel/initramfs, add extra kernel string to avoid name conflicts
    Add new mkinitramfs.d preset

For now, I just created the systemd-boot config manually: (Note I’m booting from my NVME driver, and also uses LVM, thus not using the MANJARO partition naming)

$ cat /boot/loader/entries/linux.conf 
title   Manjaro ARM
linux   /Image
initrd  /initramfs-linux.img
options console=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/arm_nvme/root rw rootwait earlycon=pl011,0xfe201000 loglevel=6 audit=0

$ cat /boot/loader/entries/linux-rpi-mainline.conf 
title   Manjaro ARM - rpi kernel
linux   /Image-rpi4-mainline
initrd  /initramfs-rpi-mainline.img
options console=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/arm_nvme/root rw rootwait earlycon=pl011,0xfe201000 loglevel=6 audit=0

Finally I removed /boot/extlinux directly completely.

Then I reboot, uboot starts up and find the EFI file automatically, and boots into systemd-boot, which loads the default one of upstream kernel.

So yes, I tested it with my CM4, and it works as expected.

I’ll upload the PKGBUILDs tomorrow, maybe add those systemd-boot config entries too.
(Why I can’t even fork those projects inside gitlab?)

Full boot sequence can be found here:

And switching to linux-rpi4-mainline kernel just needs me to press ‘up’ during systemd-boot screen.

Awesome!

Here is the photo for the selection screen:
(Sorry for the crappy camera and the extra mosaic)

1 Like

Nice. Looks great.

I do see one issue though.

Since we are thinking of making the kernel packages themselves supply the loader entry conf files, the below example (from the main linux package) would only be usable on the Raspberry Pi, because of the “options” line. Different devices have different console names and baud-rates.

Also, some devices (looking at amlogic) use a different initramfs file name (ending in .uimg). How would we do the conf to only look for that if it exists? :slight_smile:

the below example (from the main linux package) would only be usable on the Raspberry Pi, because of the “options” line. Different devices have different console names and baud-rates.

Regular users won’t need those earlycon nor console lines, those are for my debugging purpose.

For end users, just remove the console, earlycon, loglevel options, and call it a day.

(And of course different root option, unless Manjaro ARM moves to LVM by default)

Also, some devices (looking at amlogic) use a different initramfs file name (ending in .uimg).

The maintainer for the package should move to regular filename.
.uimg looks like uboot image, which is completely unnecessary.

From ancient age, U-boot can already load plain kernel/initramfs without any problem.

(Unless it’s the amlogic Uboot too old, then it’s another problem and we need to compile a newer Uboot for such board).

BTW, I also find that, Uboot itself will try its best to load FDT automatically.
Thus under most case, as long as the device tree name is correct, it can load the device tree even without any config file.

My Odroid does not boot using the regaular .img file, so it has to be the .uimg file, created with mkimage.

They do use old uboots, since I just use the uboots they provide, since I can’t compile/package mainline for them on my device (because of the x86_64 binary thing).

Most uboots have a default FTD defined at built time, but it differs slightly from where our kernel puts it. That can ofcourse be changed in the kernel.

My Odroid does not boot using the regaular .img file, so it has to be the .uimg file, created with mkimage.

Mind to provide the Uboot version, and env print output?

If it’s amlogic based, I’m afraid if it has eMMC, we can’t even try to chainload upstream Uboot…

BTW, even for the damn prebuilt Uboot for certain boards, I guess they still load uboot script.
And I believe that’s the reason why you need uboot image, as it’s hardcoded into the uboot script.
And of course you can change the uboot script.

That’s why I prefer to manually use uboot command to verify what’s the real capability of the vendor uboot.

As long as it’s not too ancient, we can still use uboot script to teach it to load systemd-boot (as long as they have EFI built in).

So that we can continue our chain load sequence, while keeps the dirty hacks inside the uboot.