There have been ideas going around about the future direction of Manjaro gnome edition.
The current default setup has many extensions enabled and has some challenges:
- Many extensions make the desktop more prone to breakage and cause more work for the stable update when gnome has a major update
- Extensions increase shell startup time by 50-100% and make the desktop less responsive on low powered systems
- Arc-menu is difficult to use when it is so close to the hot corner
Here are some ideas for improvement:
- drop gnome-shell-extension-openweather, because gnome-weather already integrates with gnome-shell
- Disable user-themes extension, users can enable it if they want to
- Disable drive-menu, because that functionality is now provided by dash-to-dock
- Disable appindicator extension because it is not used for anything by default
- Either disable Arc-Menu OR move it out of the top left corner. Arc-menu works better with dash-to-panel than dash-to-dock
Here are some layouts that work with these ideas:
Traditional desktop, consistent with other official editions
Ubuntu style, lighter and closer to our current layout
Closer to vanilla with dock
What kind of layout would you prefer?
- Current one
- Traditional desktop
- Mac style
- Closer to vanilla
- Something else, what?