Icons not showing up in i3bar or polybar

So I love i3 and have been using it for months, but I'm new to Manjaro. I'm also not sure if this is the proper place to put this, so if not, I'm sorry about that.

For whatever reason, I can not get fontawesome or nerd fonts to show up on either i3blocks or polybar. They appear fine when I copy them from the cheatsheet to the config file, but then just don't show up at all in the bar.

I've installed both fontawesome and nerd-fonts-complete using pacman, so I'm not sure what's going wrong. This obviously isn't a huge problem, but it's kind of annoying.

Hmm

Polybar is using / looking for specific characters - what can I call it - a specific location in a given font file - if your specific font is not found then - it won't work.

Polybar can be configured in a number of different ways.

If you are using Openbox then check the file ~/.config/polybar/master.conf

1 Like

I'm using i3, but I think I know what you mean. In the font section I have to call fontawesome or a nerdfont in order for the icons to show up?

So if I add font-3 = fontawesome:pixelsize=14;1

that should theoretically work? Though I don't think that fontawesome is the actual name, I'll have to figure that out.

The easiest way to find out is using fc-list:

fc-list | grep -i awesome

I'm not using Font Awesome, so I can't confirm if that works:

Give it a try, something like this (change the values if needed):

font-3 = Font Awesome 5 Free:pixelsize=10;3
font-4 = Font Awesome 5 Free Solid:pixelsize=10;3
font-5 = Font Awesome 5 Brands:pixelsize=10;3

If these are not the actual names of the fonts, use the output of fc-list in your configuration file(s).

1 Like

Something like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adding them like this worked. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by