Is a rolling release suitable for my system?

Well, I just surf the web mainly, no editing, coding or modelling. Is there a way to not get bleeding edge updates? I have these specs.

MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC, AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL16 Desktop Memory Module Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Graphics Card .

Not using a bleeding edge distro?

2 Likes

Hi!

“Is it easy to break” well well well, you’re looking at someone who managed to delete his whole “home” folder :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That is a good question, and I think that Rolling Release distros might actually be more advantageous in getting people to adopt Linux. My reasoning is that RR distros keep the kernel at the latest and greatest, which allows for newer hardware and most importantly for many the reason for owning a computer: gaming. I have Mint on two of my System 76 laptops with a 5.11 kernel because it works better. This System 76 Darter Pro with the Gen One Coreboot needs newer kernels to work right. I am running the 5.14 kernel and it works great.

Yes, bleeding edge can break, but if you use a little care, they can be wonderful as well. Since I am home waiting on knee surgery and am pretty much less than completely mobile, I have time to play. Manjaro, to me, represents an excellent compromise between stability and up to date apps. I will be the first to admit I am a newbie user, and will break things if they can be broken.

In the last week I have had (other than Manjaro) five other distros installed on this computer, and I have come back to Manjaro. Mint worked well, but I do not really like this laptop compared to the other ones, so I have made this my testing machine. However I came back to Manjaro because it made this laptop feel “fresh” and “new”.

I think that bleeding edge might not perhaps be the way to go, but cutting edge might be the best way to get new users to get into Linux. Keep things up to date, and get new drivers ASAP so that new games, new software, and new harrdware will run well.

Just my 2 cents.

How do you like your steaks? Or other food groups cooked?

It depends what side of stable you want.

I cannot disagree completely, but so far Manjaro Cinnamon is really stable on this laptop which due to the System 76 Coreboot system is REALLY picky about distros and Kernels. Plus the advantage of the rolling release model is that you never really have to update the complete system when a new one is released. You constantly get updates.

@Edward78 Manjaro isn’t as bleeding edge as Arch, using the stable built at least. There is sufficient testing done to ensure, a new update isn’t to just bork your system.
I have been running it now for a year and didn’t experience any issues whatsoever. At the moment I seriously consider installing Manjaro on my 73 year old mum’s computer, just because it is a rolling distro, and i don’t need to upgrade the os every 2 years.

Yeah, I did that with my dad’s computer I put Mint 20.2 on it and skinned it to look like his beloved Windows XP, and have not had a single complaint from him. He is 84 and can bork a computer worse than my wife. He loves that I have gotten Windows XP back on his system.

Manjaro is bleeding edge, Arch is cutting edge.

Although, as I’ve been in unstable for a year and a half now, I’m also on the sharpest edge myself.

Stable Manjaro is a curated rolling release, it mixes pleasantly recent updates and stability.

2 Likes

This thread is general discussion rather than a valid support request.

For that reason, I’m deeming this thread as off-topic.

This is a support forum. This topic should be discussed in other channels.

Please post within the definitions of each category. Refer to the forum rules.

Thanks for your cooperation :+1:

I am using Solus now, but heard it has issues with GTP boot & I am just a at home user no major editing, no coding or no moddeling. I game in Windows, but everything else in Linux. My sys is MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC, AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL16 Desktop Memory Module Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Graphics Card . Really the kernel supports hardware, so if it works in one distro it 99.999% will in this one right? Oh, you can filter out the bleeding edge packages right? I don’t want to download a package that can mess up my system.

Yes.

No.