Icon issue in Gnome 3.32 status menu

Hi,

after latest [Stable Update] 2019-03-29 there is some minor icon problem in my gnome status menu. It’s not a big deal, but I was curious about what is the cause of it and how it could be solved. Hopefully this is the right place to ask a question like this.

The icon of the user in the gnome status menu is much too big:
Screenshot%20from%202019-04-03%2016-52-16

I am currently using papirus-adapta-maia icons with the adapta-maia theme. This was the standard of my installation back then and I think it came from this repos:
adapta-gtk-theme
papirus-maia-icon-theme

I tried out changing back the theme and icons to gnome default (Adwaita) as I my first guess was some styling issue in my installed gtk-theme.
Unfortunately this didn’t change anything.

Now my questions are:

• Where can I find the *.css file for this menu? Due to my theme change it cannot be the theme.css for adapta or adwaita right? Is there any other parent theme?
  • If there is such a parent theme, is it possible that somewhere in this theme there is a wrong font size for that icon? If so, why wasn’t it updated ?

Systeminfo: inxi-dump

First, make sure you did also the last update

There are a couple of issues described for Gnome 3.32 too (in the wiki part of the announcement)

If the issue you describe will persist, you can try to remove the manjaro-gdm-theme then reinstall gnome-shell then reboot.

Is part of the Shell theme not Application theme, and is a binary file gnome-shell-theme.gresource that i don’t recommend to mess with. If the installed Shell theme doesn’t follow the GDM Shell theme. there are always issues with the icons in the panel, and other odd behavior.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply @bogdancovaciu :smiley:
Oh, I haven’t seen that there’s already a new update. I will install it asap.

So the manjaro style (application theme, icons, shell theme, theme-mods*) is shipped with manjaro-gdm-theme on top of the default one from gnome-shell?
Is there an existing documentation for this?

*title bar height, … from user directory, cause that’s why the user-themes-extension is needed right?

User themes are just a dress-up for the Shell to look like Application theme used. It communicates with the GDM binary file theme (this is just my understanding, so it might not be quite so), and the GDM is communicating with Gnome-Shell itself. Since the structure of Gnome-Shell changed, the GDM binary file (manjaro-gdm-theme) fails to make a proper “translation” between user shell theme and Gnome-Shell, resulting in different strange behaviors.

or see here another old discussion about it

I’m not a programmer nor developer, there might be misunderstandings from my part, but nevertheless, making proper themes that work 100% is not that easy.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your investigations :astonished:

I am, but with little/no experience in linux application development and definitely less understanding about the gnome desktop than you have.

Thanks again for your great support :+1:

1 Like

Removing manjaro-gdm-theme fixed the problem.
Although I didn’t remove the package.

I just exchanged gnome-shell-theme.gresource (which is the same as in /usr/share/themes/manjaro-gdm-theme/ ) in /usr/share/gnome-shell/ with the original gnome-shell-theme.gresource.old (which was also located in same the folder ).

1 Like

That too can work, but … it could be that the gnome-shell-theme.gresource.old is not quite the last version. Not sure if i explain ok. It might have been saved as .old before the Gnome 3.32
Anyway, the same way you can make use of the gnome-shell-theme.gresource from plata-theme i was mentioning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have rebuild the theme to work in 3.32.. Upload soon in unstable. I think fix all issue since is based on the new way of gnome-shell only since i have modified the sass files( source mode) instead of modify the CSS files the color not match 100% with maia but we can see later...

3 Likes

It seems that Plata-Theme and Materia have good 3.32 compatibility now. I was looking how to change the colors in the sass files, but i don't quite understand a few things. Maybe is worth to look at them and change to maia too ?!

Hi @Ste74,

installed the fix last week with the latest update. ([Stable Update] 2019-04-20 - Nvidia, Kernels, Deepin)

Unfortunately my shell theme (Adapta-Eta-Maia) now shows an odd close icon when switching to gnome overview.

I don't know if this has something to do with the last update, but I wanted to let you know.

Please try another theme just right maintained like arc, matcha or materia and other and see if the X to close is look good.. I need to change adapta in gnome for future release...

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark