ibus problems

I've been using Manjaro for a while and so far it has been a wonderful experience.
Until I tried to get Chinese input going (for learning). First I tried fcitx, as that is what I used in Ubuntu - after an hour, I simply gave up - not a single guide worked. At all.
Then I tried ibus, and that I got to work at least somewhat...

I have the following in my ~/.xprofile, ~/.bashrc and ~/.pam_environment (there are dozens of guides for this in various different places, but one of those three always comes up, so I figured I put it in all of them, one's gotta be the right one, eh?):

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus

The following script (ibus.sh) I added to System Settings -> Autostart, as a script running on Session Startup:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
exec ibus-daemon -drx

The problem is that despite all of that, whenever I log in, ibus still isn't running. If I start the IBus Preferences, it complains that the daemon isn't running and asks to run it for me. If I agree to this, it will start the ibus-daemon, but the Super+Space shortcut won't work - the shortcut does bring up the selection, but selecting anything there yields no change in what is actually being used.

Instead I have to run above script manually (almost seems as if it isn't run on Startup despite being in the list and being Enabled) to get a working ibus-daemon with which the shortcuts also work fine.

This is probably the first case for me where KDE Plasma/Manjaro has been significantly more cumbersome than Ubuntu.
I wonder why there isn't a single place in the Plasma UI where you can simply add Chinese Pinyin. Instead you have to select just the right packages and mess around with config files.
On one hand, I'm used to that from Ubuntu. But on the other hand, I never had to mess with low-level stuff on Manjaro and was very happy about that.