I3status issue

i3
manjaroi3
i3wm

#21

i3blocks works fine in both [i3 as well as sway]
i3status works fine on sway but not on i3… so config is not issue if i am not mistaken
i3status may be caling locale which may be mandatory for that program, but same works on sway and returns error on i3
!


#22

improvement on my side… but on LC_TIME part that still loves en_DK

rvc at 23:59  Δ±n {~}
 └─> β‚Ή Β» locale
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_ALL=
rvc at 23:59  Δ±n {~}
 └─> β‚Ή Β» localectl status
   System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
                  LANGUAGE=en_IN
                  LC_CTYPE=en_IN.UTF-8
                  LC_NUMERIC=en_IN.UTF-8
                  LC_TIME=en_IN.UTF-8
                  LC_COLLATE=en_IN.UTF-8
                  LC_MONETARY=en_IN.UTF-8
                  LC_MESSAGES=en_IN.UTF-8                                                                 
                  LC_PAPER=en_IN.UTF-8                                                                    
                  LC_NAME=en_IN.UTF-8                                                                     
                  LC_ADDRESS=en_IN.UTF-8                                                                  
                  LC_TELEPHONE=en_IN.UTF-8                                                                
                  LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IN.UTF-8                                                              
                  LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_IN.UTF-8                                                           
       VC Keymap: in-eng                                                                                  
      X11 Layout: in                                                                                      
       X11 Model: acer_laptop                                                                             
     X11 Variant: eng                                                                                     
     X11 Options: rupeesign                                                                               
rvc at 00:00  Δ±n {~}                                                                                      
 └─> β‚Ή Β» echo $LANG                                                                                       
de_DE.UTF-8                  
rvc at 00:03  Δ±n {~}
 └─> β‚Ή Β» screenfetch

 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     rvc@acer-e15
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     OS: Manjaro 17.0.5 Gellivara
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.9.51-1-MANJARO
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     Uptime: 1h 9m
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ            β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     Packages: 1245
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     Shell: bash 4.4.12
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     Resolution: 1920x1080
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     WM: i3
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     Icon Theme: elementary
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     Font: Noto Sans Regular 11
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U @ 4x 2.4GHz [40.5Β°C]
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) 
 β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ     RAM: 609MiB / 3823MiB
rvc at 00:04  Δ±n {~}
 └─> β‚Ή Β» i3status
Could not set locale. Please make sure all your LC_* / LANG settings are correct.rvc at 00:05  Δ±n {~}
 └─> β‚Ή Β» 

echo $LANG still gets stuck at de_DE

@oberon
EDIT: current issue is shown H E R E
i use localtectl as root to set all parameters, kde and sway takes it but i3 fails to default to de_DE [in LC_MESSAGES; LC_TIME etc as displayed in shot above] FYI. if its glibc related of $LANG not supported by i3 ?


#23

@oberon
for above issue presumably due to locale settings that does not seem to pick up from system locale OR through editing locale.conf, I simply tried a workaround by adding en_DK locale , then edited LC_MESSAGES and LC_TIME to en_DK.

not terminal on i3 displays i3status ! still the bar displays error message !

further, due to above workaround, urxvt as well as xterm fails to display the unicode chars… but if i restart the same app from respective term, it displays ! FYI

EDIT: resolved the issue by following this L I N K
i added the required locales using localedef option.
though its not required by me and en_IN just works, for the sake of locale issue on i3status, i added them and it resolved the issue. hence marking this thread as [SOLVED]