[i3] ThinkPad Trackpoint configuration

Hey, this is my first thread here (and Im not a native speaker) so please be gentle :).

I use the little Trackpoint as a mouse replacement on my laptop pretty often. However, the default configuration in Manjaro i3 is way to sensitive to use it comfortably for me. So I wanted to change this.

By following the guide in the arch wiki, I created a systemd unit, which calls a script that writes my custom values for the Speed and Sensitivity to:

/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed

and

/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity

if both paths become available.

After a reboot, the speed parameter is set correctly. However, the sensitivity parameter is never set or (which is more likely) gets replaced by some application (I kinda can confirm this since manually calling the service which sets both values works).

I hope someone can help me with this.

Robin.

welcome to the forum, i dont know exactly how you have the systemd unit/s written but you could post them here, also the script. when you post file content and terminal output put 3 backticks ``` before and after so its formatted properly. you can also use the </> button on the post entry window.

anyhow, maybe try adding a sleep between commands in the script or add a sleep before the script runs, it may just be running to early in startup

Thanks for your reply.

I basically copied the content of the Service files straight from the arch wiki, see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint#systemd.path_unit

trackpoint_parameters.path

[Unit]
Description=Watch for, and modify, Trackpoint attributes
Wants=observer.service

[Path]
PathExists=/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

trackpoint_configuration.service

[Unit]
Description=Set TrackPoint attributes

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/trackpoint_configuration.sh

trackpoint_configuration script:

#!/bin/bash
echo 100 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed
echo 100 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity

anyhow, maybe try adding a sleep between commands in the script or add a sleep before the script runs, it may just be running to early in startup

I also tried adding a sleep 1 before the other commands, but it didn’t work. Maybe I could tell systemd to execute this script as the last script on startup, but Im not sure how to do that properly.