I3 iso or architect

As I already wrote I soon have to install Manjaro GNU/Linux again. This time I want to start with i3 directly and adjust the installment to my needs and habits with some parts of XFCE. (The last time I did it the other way around) Now I wonder if I shouldn’t use the architect instead of the i3-iso.
What appart from CLI vs. GUI are the greatest advantages and disadvantages of the architect-way?

From your description, the Architech should be the better option, since the i3 CE is heavily configured and dependent on too many third-party tools for it to be a viable base to start your configuration on.

Alternatively (and likely what I would do in your shoes) would be to just take advantage of the default Xfce edition, which is a balanced iso with little cruft compared to the i3 edition, and then install your own i3 from the repos and configure it to your liking.

Memory on less powerful systems.
The initial download is significantly smaller.

Otherwise no significant advantage of using the i3 iso over the architect iso.

If you have a running manjaro-system you can build either iso yourself - eg if you want a newer kernel than the provided 4.9 on iso’s.

You can also omit packages that you know you will not use and include others which you think is missing. It is entirely up to you.

I don’t have a running system any more. The motherboard of my HP has died and the laptops of the rest of the family is on XFCE and MATE.

The alternative your mention is just the way I’ve gone before. I hade XFCE, installed i3wm and deinstalled most of XFCE and the DM (don’t even rember if it was lightdm or sddm or something else) and set up a direct boot into i3.

I thought even about copying over not only my home-partition from the harddisc of the old laptop to the new but also the root-partition. But I’m ansure if this will lead to problems because the old system ran on AMD all the way, CPU and graphics, and the new will be Intel. So I do a new install and have to decide which way I’m having the environment I’m used to the easieast way.

The biggest differences I see are

• with the architect you can install a more customized system, while with the iso you get more of a one size fits all system that you can customize after the installation
  • the architect will always install the latest available packages, while an iso install will require some updating after the installation
  • with architect the downloading-installing parts are bound together, which means you can do the installation in one, longer sitting, while with the iso install, the download-install-update parts are separated, which you can do in shorter, separate sittings

You said you don’t have a running system, so it doesn’t apply to you, but if you had, you could run the architect from your Manjaro install, then it will only have to download the packages that differ from your installed system, the rest will be just copied from the existing system.

Well, if you plan to fully uninstall Xfce leaving just the xfce tools your need (and their dependencies), then Architect is just the best way. With the advantage you can use it to build an iso of your own for future installations.