I3 (and gnome will not install) issue

I’m having this issue coming from KDE as well.

libgdm-dev is not installed, neither is gdm-dev

Since noone seems to have posted them, here’s the full output of sudo pacman -S gnome

[max@xps-nix ~]$ sudo pacman -S gnome     
:: There are 71 members in group gnome:
:: Repository extra
   1) baobab  2) cheese  3) eog  4) epiphany  5) evince  6) file-roller  7) gdm  8) gdm-dev  9) gedit  10) gnome-backgrounds
   11) gnome-books  12) gnome-calculator  13) gnome-calendar  14) gnome-characters  15) gnome-clocks  16) gnome-color-manager
   17) gnome-contacts  18) gnome-control-center  19) gnome-disk-utility  20) gnome-documents  21) gnome-font-viewer
   22) gnome-getting-started-docs  23) gnome-keyring  24) gnome-logs  25) gnome-maps  26) gnome-menus  27) gnome-music
   28) gnome-photos  29) gnome-remote-desktop  30) gnome-screenshot  31) gnome-session  32) gnome-settings-daemon
   33) gnome-shell  34) gnome-shell-extensions  35) gnome-software  36) gnome-system-monitor  37) gnome-terminal
   38) gnome-themes-extra  39) gnome-user-docs  40) gnome-user-share  41) gnome-video-effects  42) gnome-weather
   43) grilo-plugins  44) gvfs  45) gvfs-afc  46) gvfs-goa  47) gvfs-google  48) gvfs-gphoto2  49) gvfs-mtp  50) gvfs-nfs
   51) gvfs-smb  52) mutter  53) mutter-x11-sc  54) nautilus  55) networkmanager  56) orca  57) rygel  58) sushi  59) totem
   60) tracker  61) tracker-miners  62) tracker3  63) tracker3-miners  64) vino  65) xdg-user-dirs-gtk  66) yelp
:: Repository community
   67) gdm-plymouth  68) gnome-boxes  69) gnome-control-center-pop-shell-shortcuts  70) nautilus-typeahead  71) simple-scan

Enter a selection (default=all): 
warning: gnome-disk-utility-3.38.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gnome-keyring-1:3.36.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gnome-session-3.38.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gnome-settings-daemon-3.38.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gnome-themes-extra-3.28-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gvfs-1.46.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gvfs-afc-1.46.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gvfs-gphoto2-1.46.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gvfs-mtp-1.46.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gvfs-nfs-1.46.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gvfs-smb-1.46.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: mutter-3.38.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: networkmanager-1.26.4-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: tracker3-3.0.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: removing 'gdm' from target list because it conflicts with 'gdm-dev'
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: gdm-dev and libgdm-dev are in conflict

I think the issue may be that both gdm and gdm-dev are included under the gnome group, so both try to install?

e: following this theory, attempted to install the range 1-7, 9-71 for the above and it went off without a hitch. So i guess that’s probably the culprit. If the group could be updated to remove the conflict, that’d probably help those of us who just try to take the default action, assuming it’s sane and tested :wink:

I have the same issue when trying to install gnome in manjaro cinnamon, gdm-dev and libgdm-dev are conflicting.

Similar problem happens with a Fresh Install of Manjaro with the Architect,the installation script installs -git packages even when explicit chosen “stable” branch, something is messed on Manjaro servers, this makes cross packages conflicts. Because the stable package somewhere have dev packages as dependency, and then other needs the normal one, and then the conflict.

In the case of Gnome failing to install as described happens that “gdm-dev” depends of “libgdm-dev” BUT “libgdm-dev” depends on “gdm” (non -dev) getting into conflict.

You can check in the pamac-manager for “libgdm-dev”
it states that depends on “gdm” but get’s into conflict with “gdm”, at same time!

gdm-dev should not even be called in the first place as far as my understanding! I am new to Manjaro Arch, but who is responsible for the Manjaro repository should be aware of this…

Stefano Capitani seems the package organizer, maybe a kind email to him can make some light to the problem: stefano @ manjaro.org

Any solution because I’m having the issue with the XFCE edition of Manjaro in the stable branch(I don’t know about other branches),
I pasted the command:
sudo pacman -S gnome
and it errors with:
warning: removing 'gdm' from target list because it conflicts with 'gdm-dev'
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: gdm-dev and libgdm-dev are in conflict

libgdm-dev is not installed and gdm-dev isn’t too,also gdm is not installed.

Have a nice day,
and thanks.

EDIT:There was an update,I updated then I seem to not have the issue anymore.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.