I would like to apologize.l

Sometimes I get a little wound up and I wish I had a filter for my mouth.
I am not a bad guy … just a idiot with a big mouth.

Last night I was pretty upset with a few issues. I hope you do not hate me for it.
First of all, I installed manjaro on this machine 3 or 4 months ago, it worked perfect for my first trial run. I then installed it on 4 other machines …
This machine a few weeks ago it started kicking me off the internet and was a strange issue. Today I checked groups on the user … it literally had no groups for that user.
How does that get changed? Been using it for several months, my only activities is to use the gui to update it … How can the system change user privileges through update?
While the issue is fixed, I wonder how it happened? I just feel no system process should change groups during update.

They dont.
If they did … it was a bug.

For example … see these log entries from some old updates:

38201:[2020-03-20T15:45:57-0700] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/hplip/base/__pycache__/
38202-filesystem: 700  package: 755
38203:[2020-03-20T15:45:57-0700] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/hplip/base/pexpect/__pycache__/
38204-filesystem: 777  package: 755

I know its not groups, but it is permissions … and in the case above the user would have to take manual action to change those permissions. The package upgrade will not do it for them.

By default ALPM will not overwrite files with changes - thats why we have things like .pacnew’s if we have made modifications to system files that would be overwritten by a package upgrade. In which case again they are NOT overwritten, and the user must take manual action.

Ex:

2239:[2018-11-25 16:43] [ALPM] warning: /etc/systemd/journald.conf installed as /etc/systemd/journald.conf.pacnew

This is a computer that sits out in the shop under the work bench … Is a old I3 with a intel gpu … I never did anything to it but simply install manjaro & update it as the notifier said was updates.
Today I checked “groups” The username is genfool & all it said. There was zero permissions for the user. … How could the user use full privileges & update the system then have zero privileges simply using the gui update system? There is something broke here .

I also have 3 manjaro systems in the office …The random kde gui crash is interesting … Could be kde-plasma. I remember kde 2.0, looked just like windows 95 … or should I say windows used the opensource kde to create win95, then others up to win7? Just my opinion … I remember when kde5 first came out years ago … it was broken … still needs work but they are getting places today. I understand kde being offered, but not really as stable. KDE has always been ahead of the pack.