I want to move Manjaro to a new drive

I backed up home, here is what is inside

Google Photos

it has more than home, did I do it wrong? The root folder is empty, How big should I make the partitions, all I need is /, Home, boot/efi & Swap? Last time I installed Manjaro, couldn’t figure out what it wanted, it didn’t ever accept how we did it. I just have VLC, Furefox & Vocoscreen really. . How can I use pacman xg to make a list of packages I have?

Moderator edit: Add image link to separate line so forum displays image

You have written the backup of your complete SSD to the /home directory.
That´s not correct.

My suggestion: make a backup of /home on a media and write this one back.

So why did it do that? I chose to only do /home with timeshift?

We don’t really know what you did
(not “it” - “it” only does what you tell it to do
… it was you who told the program what to do).

The evidence shows that you apparently backed up everything.
Still not a problem - just pick the /home directory from the backup and restore that … :man_shrugging:

That is what I did. Hmmm, they look like duplicates when I go to summery on both. I have touched settings since I installed Manjao. Oh well delete it & redo, if I add /usr that will also get my apps right?

Why? $HOME is already there - just not it alone.
More than you need (all you need and wanted …).

Nope - that’s not how it works.

Can I get my apps too? This is the pattern of how it was in timeshift from when I first installed Manjaro.
/home/edward78/**

You can - but your apps are not in your $HOME directory.

pacman/Tips and tricks - ArchWiki

This is the way to go.
You wanted to reinstall and just restore $HOME as I understood it.
Install your apps from this list after the system was reinstalled.

You can also just copy the whole system from one drive to the other.
No re-installation necessary - but still some work to have it booting properly.

Your choice.

… we have come full circle, I guess :man_shrugging:

So in timesihft just add a new option to setting that
has the pattern /home/edward78 not sure why the one with ** get so much. Hmmm, I am doing something wrong, how do I make it back up /home & all files =/folders below it? Plus if I cloned the instll & it was hooked up to the same Sata cale after that, would I still need to edit files to get it to boot right? Sorry about all this back & forth.

Timeshift is for system backups - your pattern already included $HOME - along with all the rest of the system.
If you want just $HOME and nothing else then create a new pattern.

… you’d need to do some work no matter how you copied or cloned your system.

You already have a backup - and will lose nothing if you screw up.

Just go ahead and try and learn from possible mistakes.

I will just copy and paste my home from the this drive that should work.

You should use rsync -ahr /home/<username>/ /path/to/new drive/<username>/

Just copy/paste won’t do it? Why would a clone of the dribe not work? I am putting the new one on the same Sata cable.

It might - it probably will.

No one said it wouldn’t - just that some additional work might be needed, depending on HOW you did it.

In that case you will face problems - a clone means that now you have two identical drives (as far as the kernel is concerned). Nothing good can come from that.

Good luck!

Sorry about all this I just did the rsyc command. That looks like it is working.

Tip: Right before you clone the drive with true cloning software. Do a Timeshift backup to a portable USB drive, even a thumb drive works. Why? The odds are the drive will not be usable for a number of reasons. Not to worry.

With the newly cloned drive now do a Timeshift restore to that drive.

I will just do a new install, mayking a snapshot with timeshift it the /home coppy/paste doesn’t work.

1 Like