I want to get a VPN to use on Manjaro XFCE

I want to use a VPN for XFCE, and I don’t know how to use OpenVPN so I went to ProtonVPN. Problem is, I can’t figure out how to install ProtonVPN on XFCE. Can anyone help?

Hi @keyBro :wink:

OpenVPN is the easiest one… and ProtonVPN has config files on the website for OpenVPN.

Download each config file there which you need and import it in nm-connection-editor. Then you need to edit the imported config there and add your " OpenVPN-/IKEv2-Username" and “OpenVPN-/IKEv2-Password”. Thats it. Then just connect.

Easy or?

Here is an tutorial: How to use ProtonVPN on Linux? - ProtonVPN Support

Or maybe the command-line tool: ProtonVPN command-line tool for Linux - ProtonVPN Support

pamac build protonvpn-cli-ng

I’ll try learning how to set up the built-in OpenVPN thing. It’ll take me a bit because I have no clue what to search.

From what I understand OpenVPN is a protocol. VPN companies may use OpenVPN for their server connections, so you’ll use OpenVPN anyway. The difference is whether or not the companies have a GUI, use CLI or Network Manager.

I like Wireguard more than OpenVPN. It seems much faster to me, but it looks like Proton doesn’t offer it.

Can you give me a link to set up/use Wireguard? I haven’t been able to find anything that will actually work, and most of the things I found have things missing for OpenVPN.

You may be getting confused between VPN providers and VPN protocols.
A VPN provider like Proton, requires you to pay money to access its servers. There are free VPNs, but not advised.
The protocol is the way that the data transmitted and received, just like http(s), ftp, and others.
OpenVPN is one protocol, Wireguard is newer, and there are others.

Wireguard is another protocol that a VPN provider may or may not use. You will still need a server list for wireguard to open connections to.

Here is the wireguard site: https://www.wireguard.com/

As you have decided to use Proton, I think you will need to follow its OpenVPN instructions as posted by @megavolt, but remember to pay for a package or it will not work.

I use vpnac, which is cheaper, and has been extremely reliable despite a countrywide firewall, and the setup instructions are clear, and as the config files are created for you, there is less setup to do. It also has a secure proxy that you can install onto your web browsers.