I want Gnome 40! Why doesn't Manjaro ship Gnome 40 Shell yet?

We already release Gnome on daily basis as soon as it is out. Give it a try. Get Gnome-Next for 40 shell.

1 Like

Thank you all for the great work.

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard if the excellent “Extended Gestures” extension is being updated for Gnome 40? As someone who doesn’t use multiple workspaces the default three finger gestures to swipe workspaces is wasted for me and I’d love to reassign them.

1 Like

As I understand it, it will be better to perform a fresh install than an upgrade (from 3.38 to 40) when Gnome 40 will be full available right ?

Do you think that Gnome 40 will be available in middle May for the stable branch ? Or must we wait another two months ?

1 Like

You can switch to Gnome 40 Shell right now by changing to unstable branch. We make sure that a seamless update will be possible. When it will land in stable branch we can’t tell. Maybe weeks, maybe months …

3 Likes

@philm: I downloaded the GNOME-Next ISO to see what Gnome Shell 40 looks like. I hope we will no have to wait many months to have a stable version of Gnome 40.

There is a Problem With manjaro-gdm-theme.

2 Likes

manjaro-gdm-theme gresource should be updated for GNOME 40. Moreover, this line:

install -Dm644 $srcdir/build/theme/gnome-shell-theme.gresource $pkgdir/usr/share/themes/manjaro-gdm-themegnome-shell-theme.gresource

should probably read as

install -Dm644 $srcdir/build/theme/gnome-shell-theme.gresource $pkgdir/usr/share/themes/manjaro-gdm-theme/gnome-shell-theme.gresource

in the PKGBUILD. Or possibly it could be completely removed as the .gresource file is copied anyways due a cp call a couple lines below.

Furthermore, org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings.antialiasing has been moved to org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings.deprecated, so the manjaro-gnome-settings overrides should be adapted as well.

@Ste74
@Chrysostomus

1 Like

You are right but … I m embarassed but i don t know what branchs we have to adopt for v40 and if we can merge some with other branchs … :thinking:

1 Like

@Ste74 thanks for updating those two packages, but could you please also update gnome-shell-theme.gresource.xml in manjaro-gdm-theme? The old resource file is causing icons not to be found, leading to this:
kép
when hovering over windows in the activities.

It seems there is also an outdated resource file in the manjaro-gnome-theme repository.

Thank for pointing me … have you already a xml working file?

The resource file that comes with gnome-shell packages seems to work fine. I did

sudo mv /usr/share/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-theme.gresource.old /usr/share/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-theme.gresource

to restore the original, and it seems everything works. And I’m a bit confused as to why the resource file needs to be overwritten since I don’t see any significant changes compared to the upstream version.

Our version use a maia version of the colors instead the bluish of gnome… i Need via hook to replace It at any gnome-shell update because otherwise gdm colors returns to the bluish … this Is why i do the copy …

But the xml file is the same, no? Only the colors are changed in the svg files?

Yep… xml yes … used for generated the gresource file… sorry if i misunderstanding your question …

As far as I can see only the images/icons are changed, the gnome-shell-theme.gresource.xml file is the exact same as the one in the 3.36 gnome-shell. So maybe the manjaro-gdm-theme package could just use the gnome-shell-theme.gresource.xml file from the gnome-shell repository? Another thing is that maybe the icons also need to be updated in manjaro-gnome-theme as well.

i need to remove from the repository but i m lazy :roll_eyes: … we at now grab directly the icons from gnome repo

1 Like

What do you mean by “fixed”? My Gnome 3 vertical desktops are dynamically allocated by default (there’s always an empty workspace ready for new windows, move windows to it, a new empty one appears at the bottom).

As for the vertical vs horizontal, honestly that’s not a big deal compared to all the other benefits of Gnome 40. The “learning curve” is very minimal, to me at least. Gnome’s learning curve has always been small, for example monumentally smaller than KDE desktop. After an hour you’ll be over it the horizontal-vertical swap. I think it is no biggie!

Plus someone will come out with a horizontal-to-vertical script to swap them in no time (if they haven’t already). It’s just swapping the Y with X direction, and placing the list on the side of the app icons instead of at the top. Two tiny changes. The script will fit on your screen with extra space left over.

In fact, the Gnome devs themselves, if you ask, will share a minimal few-lines of JavaScript to do just about anything. Gnome Shell is really flexible with scripting.

Can’t wait for Gnome 40!!

1 Like

You’re spot on.

3 Likes

This extension running over Gnome 40 looks way better than the current Gnome with vertical workspaces. Gnome 40 is on a new league aesthetically.

2 Likes

Would be great if they could do that on the fly with dash-to-dock.

I’m talking about a vertical dock on the desktop (I don’t like Mac-style dock at the bottom as they waste vertical space) becoming horizontal below workspaces when triggering the overview so as not to overlap with the horizontal workspaces.
I suggested that on the dash-to-dock github page, and got no response yet. But for good reasons, as the priority is to make it officially working with Gnome 40. My suggestion will come way down the list, if ever.

As an alternative, it would be great to have dash-to-dock to just replace the infamous dash in the overview and not appear at all on the desktop (some always hide option). Gnome vanilla dash is way too big with playskool icons and it has no visual cues on the number of instances running for an app.

1 Like