I tried to get /usr on a separate partition and failed because I thought I knew what i was doing

As I said before, there is no reason for wanting to have /usr on an encrypted partition. There is nothing in /usr that’s confidential. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I know, but without encryption it’s possible for someone with physical access to tinker with /usr, right?

Only if they manage to boot the system, but the root filesystem is already encrypted, so… :man_shrugging:

It’s also about integrity. You can, e.g., replace /usr/bin/cat with your own nefarious binary.

Well then, if you’re afraid of someone stealing your laptop, replacing binaries in /usr and then somehow returning the laptop to you, then I guess you should keep /usr on the encrypted root filesystem. :grin:

A better solution in that regard — if one wants to split off /usr anyway — would be to use btrfs and make /usr into a separate subvolume. But that’s a whole other can of worms again. :wink:

:man_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.