I received a possibly malicious browser adware add-on

I was writing some html css code and i needed a blob to make a design effect. So I went to google and typed in blob maker and clicked on the first result blobmaker dot app.
Initially I used the code provided by them and I inserted it in the html code of my site locally, then as I didn’t like it I deleted the code from the site and I downloaded the .svg file but I didn’t open it and indeed I immediately deleted after downloading it because in the meantime I had another idea.

In short, on each youtube video that I opened at the same time a kind of advertisement was displayed, each one different from the other, always of the same length of 1 minute and 33 but with the background of the video black, a copy of the bypass system of youtube advertising and an “advertising” voice in my language in the background. I scanned the site with virustotal but only one detected it as a virus. The thing that struck me is that this virus has infected me, usually those who create them focus only on windows and mac.

I have now formatted the system to solve the problem more easily, hoping I haven’t underestimated this virus, because I don’t know about these things and I don’t know if it did something else that I don’t know.

What do you think?

That’s not a virus, but a malicious browser adware add-on. Simply removing it from your browser extensions would have sufficed. :wink:

Very likely this above.
In any case - not a virus, but something you did cause and allow.

1 Like

And how the f**k it get installed?! anyway, thanks, reassuring.

which also prevents you or anyone to analyze what that thing might have been and be caused by. :man_shrugging:

I don’t know how it got installed. It may have been because you clicked on something.

What you either way have to understand is that UNIX is inherently different from Windows.

In Windows, unprivileged users have write access to all of the filesystem except for the directories with the Windows executables and libraries. In UNIX, an unprivileged user only has write access to their own ${HOME}, to /tmp, to /var/tmp, and if the machine runs a local mail server, to /var/spool/mail/${USERNAME}. Everything else is read-only to anyone other than root.

Furthermore, in Windows, files are regarded as executable based upon their filename suffix — e.g. .exe, .com, .bat, et al — which is a legacy Windows inherited from MS-DOS, and from Digital Research’s CP/M operating system before it, which served as the basis for MS-DOS. In UNIX, whether a file is executable or not depends on the file’s permissions.

Some light — no, not really :stuck_out_tongue: — reading for your edification… :arrow_down:

3 Likes

If you have cockroaches in the house,

it is usually not necessary to set the house on fire
:footprints:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.