I really like Manjaro, but: You need to get better at this.

I have been using Linux as my Main System since 2003, without having played around beforehand, or going back and forth. Being a software developer, it was not that hard a transtion as for the "normal" end-user.
Never was much tempted by Mac OSX.
But, naturally, I have tried a lot of distributions over the years; Looking for a solid KDE distro, I have found Manjaro and been using it for over two years now. Happily for the most part.
It is a great distribution and beats ALL its rivals in over 90% of the field.

I will leave it and head back for something-with-Debian territory pretty soon. I am not looking forward to the GNOME-centricity, the years-old KDE or the other outdated software packages in the repo, believe me!

But I have little choice: With no other distro I had to stick my head under the bonnet (or "hood", if you're from the U.S.) and mutter "What is it now, you little ยง$*!" this often - and I have used Sabayon. (Now, Sabayon was not half as good as Manjaro, completely different beast.)
And it is not, that the sound would not work, or a theme would be lost or video playback would stutter...
No, Manjaro does not boot. You sit there with a blank black screen or a twisted boot failure and make room in your calendar for the next hours.
When I first started to use Manjaro, I read somewhere that you ought to have a second LTS kernel installed, in case the main kernal broke after an update. I found this ... worrying to say the least. I did it thou and it saved my lower back a couple of times.
Well, if that's what it takes to live in a shiny new paradies, than so be it, right?

But it is not only that. Grub has never heard of you or your partitions. That init-thingy, who needs that anyway? Everything may have a hiccup, the important thing is, that you can easily fix and that you are not left out in the rain.

With that said, I have had it. You cannot build the perfect marathon runner that runs 40km with perfect speed and grace, then falls, breaks a leg and twists an ankle in one go and does not get up again.
Leaving the field to all the others that have been stumbling, falling, wheezing, sweating and coughing and not keeping up for 40km and now beat you to it!
That sucks, you know? And you need to fix that.
What am I supposed to tell all those Windows users? That my system is more relyable than theirs? Stacked against Windows 10, I just cannot make that claim any longer.

You need to get better at not leaving your users out in front of a dark screen after an update. I do not care if I have the very latest kernel or just the latest kernel. Or if the newest Grub saves a second in boot.
I want not to be afraid of an update. Okay?
I am really sorry - there are 100s of distributions out there for people who want to play around with bleeding edge stuff and do not mind reinstalling and reinstalling again. Please do not let Manjaro be one of those.

1 Like

Hi there. Have you ever been here to ask for help? In my experience, there are many helpful people here who are happy to help you if you ask nicely.

2 Likes

My first comment would be do you create backups?

A black screen after an update is really not a big deal if you can simply roll your system back to before the pre-update hiccup. After restoring your system to a working condition you can then take your sweet time about researching what went wrong.

Read the update thread for similar problems and perform the recommended mitigations or fixes. If you can not find how to correct your problem on the update thread then post your own problem there. Generally most issues are known how to be corrected and can be fixed.

You pay nothing for the distro you are using. If you can't maintain your system properly yourself then please do go elsewhere. In the Linux world you are expected to report bugs and help in their resolution. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Don't let the door hit you in the butt in your rush back to some ancient outdated static distro.

BahBye :wave:

10 Likes

Well - it is kind of sad you only need a forum account to post this.

And since you only created the account for this purpose I am assuming you are not reading comments.

I am closing the thread - such threads attracts flies like .... - ping me if you think it should be reopened.

13 Likes

by request of OP

So in over two years of using Manjaro you never asked a question much less contributed anything, not a single like.

Stats

4 days visited
    18m read time
    20 topics viewed
    39 posts read
    given
    1 topic created
    0 posts created
    received

But we have this singular negative post. :thinking:
bah

4 Likes

Okay then. So you been using linux for a long time... Used manjaro for 2 year. First major hiccup issue. Make account. Saying so long good bye. Without asking for some help about the problem!

Free is free. You can't compare it to Window or Mac OS. Where you spent the money. To have that "key" and peace of mind that it will start up without out issue from the OS. Till you have hardware problems. Manjaro been aim mostly for the casual desktop user to Video gamers. Software developer is a different story. Yes, it can workout on manjaro. But if you need a much more stable environment. Due the money playing the key card that you need. Then that will be your better options.

But to just come to say goodbye without asking for any help or a second chance. Is very much a wasted space on the forum. Manjaro have a very good community. Loaded with very smart people that can help you. But no second chance for help or anything. Not enough info for dev to fix what ever bug your having. Will, have a good day. Maybe you take some the forum member feed back. To learn to make a better post vs a long bla bla bla goodbye post. Since it really was not help for anyone other then. bla bla bla goodbye.

4 Likes

Solid and KDE don't ring well together - but that's just me.

A KDE which may be more solid than average would be KDE Neon.

That is the one I was thinking about, actually...

actually nothing unstable in regards to kde plasma. as for neon the distro itself does leave a bit to be desired.

1 Like

Okay, guys. I decided to ask for this thread to be reopened, because I want to clarify some thinngs.
First and foremost: I may critize things I think need improvment. Period. Even if those things are free.
Whether y'all should read it, reply to it, like it, see my point, argue with or ignore it completely - that is another story.
But when you reply to it, you can at least read it.

Second, it's not that I cannot fix it. I am no expert with grub, uefi, partion tables or kernel bootstraping or the init-ramfs, but I have a good working knowledge with all of those. Long-time linuxer, remember?

So, it is not that "Manjaro sucks" or anything - ,
It is this: "Ugh. Again?"
When it won't boot after an update, there are a zillion things, that can be the roadblock: Corrupt or interrupted install of an important package, tainted filesystem, missing link to a lib-directory (never found out how that happened), a module that wont load, something missing in the initramfs, some kernel parameter wrong, some id changed, some config changed or overwritten or incorrectly merged. A million things.
And each one of these requires me to boot into a live/rescue medium, install the required packages, chroot into my base system and turn a few screws here and there, try this, try that, was it this? No? Maybe here...
Then shutdown, boot up, does it work? No? The fallback? Also, no? Different kernel? No? The fallback, also no.
Back to the live media, select language and keyboard, wait until my hardware is detected and the live sytem comes up, then reinstall the packages and chroot back into my base system and try the next thing.
And that sucks, you know?

What really bulls me, is that you reply although you have barely read my statement! Actually, strike "barely". Mr. or Mrs. @tbg here knew exactly what was up!
And somebody else wrote something about that I would leave at the first hiccup...?

Yeah, let's check how active somebody is in the forum. Read?! What for?! We already know!

From my work experiance, the bloody greenhorn junior dev can come up with stuff you'd never thought of and the most silver-backed senior gorilla can be wrong in the most ridiculous and cringeworthy manner.
So how about judging content.

1 Like

@Days ays Thank you!

Personally, I would consider kubuntu, opensuse, magiea, open mandriva or even fedora(kde is easily installed) if you want a non-rolling distro.

If you want to stick with rolling, solus has a kde version and there is always pclinuxos.

Good luck in your search!

2 Likes

Neon is perfectly okay but very minimal. It just requires a lot more user donkey work initially to set it up anywhere near the out of the box experience you get with manjaro KDE. Power management on a laptop is non-existent until you manually install and configure tlp yourself. As it's essentially Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the latest Plasma packages instead of the kubuntu metapackage, some packages are of course older LTS ones like PlayOnLinux and WINE. However, anything you can add to Ubuntu will work with Neon too. Installing Muon also helps with package management tasks since it finds the items Discover hasn't been indexed for in the Ubuntu repositories like localisation packages for Thunderbird.

I don't see it as a viable switch for Windows 7 users which the KDE developers are claiming though. Kubuntu, UbuntuMATE, Linux Mint Cinnamon Zorin Core/Ultimate would be better.

So what is your take on Xfce for users new to Linux from Windows 7? I would go for Linux Mint Xfce since that is setup for new users, but suitable for more advance users as well.

But since it is based off of Ubuntu TLS but bit old for my taste.

That's why I mentioned Zorin, Zorin Lite (which I left off) is actually XFCE but Zorin, aka GNOME configured with extensions to ape Windows 7/8/10 behaviour near perfectly gives a very polished experience they would be used to. It also just runs windows program installation as WINE is heavily integrated. Plus it autodetects and installs any USB or network connected printers and scanners, so almost idiot proof.

XFCE is okay but perhaps a little clunky compared to the other options. It depends more what their machine can handle.

I think the OP is coming on a bit too strong in his criticism. He really sounds more he is nagging us instead of offering suggestions to help the Developers improve Manjaro.

Of course I doubt that he didn't even ask for help before pointing out what is wrong with Manjaro to begin with. The place to get the best assistance are the distros forums.

There one other rolling distro that very heavy
KDE and Qt focus. It used pacman for it package manager. But it not really Arch Linux base. It does share some of it ideas though.
https://kaosx.us/

@whm1974
Again: The problem is not that I cannot fix a broken system. Usually I can.
The problem is that I think not breaking the system should get a much higher priority. As I said, there are already a million distros that put everything on "bleeding edge, no look behind". :frowning:

In software development:
If I break production at a project, or even just the integration or staging enviroment, the project lead and my team members will not ask me whether I can fix it, or whether I managed to bring in the latest features, before it broke.
They will expect me to take better care of it, test it more thouroghly or something in that direction.

And I wished for a bit more of that attitude at Manjaro Linux.

You "doubt" that I did not ask for help first :slight_smile: Okay, and on what do you build that "doubt"?

Forum kindly sponsored by