I lost Manjaro during 2019.02 update

hi guys
i decided to update majaro today. . . . . it had issue with x265 and ffmpeg dependencies so i unchecked them in GUI update manager then did proceed updating but during update i lost my monior screen and all USB so i waited for 1hour and pushed reboot key on case. then i coulnt boot into os again so i used USB live and used these commands to update manjaro. and entered these command:
sudo mount /dev/scc5 /mnt

sudo pacman -Syyu --root /mnt/
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core 147.3 KiB 52.8K/s 00:03 [######################################################] 100%
extra 1842.9 KiB 896K/s 00:02 [######################################################] 100%
community 5.2 MiB 1208K/s 00:04 [######################################################] 100%
multilib 185.5 KiB 832K/s 00:00 [######################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade…
resolving dependencies…
error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/local/bolt-0.7-2/desc: No such file or directory
looking for conflicting packages…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing x265 (3.0-1) breaks dependency ‘libx265.so=165-64’ required by ffmpeg2.8

sudo pacman -R ffmpeg --root /mnt/
checking dependencies…
error: could not open file /mnt/var/lib/pacman/local/bolt-0.7-2/desc: No such file or directory
:: chromaprint: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: ffmpegthumbnailer: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: firefox: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: libquicktime: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘libavcodec.so=58-64’
:: libquicktime: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘libswscale.so=5-64’
:: mpv: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: pipewire: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: qt5-webengine: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: telegram-desktop: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: vlc: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘ffmpeg’
:: x264: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘libavcodec.so=58-64’
:: x264: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘libavformat.so=58-64’
:: x264: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘libavutil.so=56-64’
:: x264: removing ffmpeg breaks dependency ‘libswscale.so=5-64’

sudo pacman -R x265 --root /mnt/
checking dependencies…
:: ffmpeg: removing x265 breaks dependency ‘libx265.so=165-64’
:: ffmpeg2.8: removing x265 breaks dependency ‘libx265.so=165-64’

finaly i fixed dependency issue by adding these to pacman.cfg file:
IgnorePkg = x265 ffmpeg
IgnoreGroup = x265 ffmpeg

after that i was able to have update successfully. i reboot from live desktop aim to boot into manjaro but i have a freezed command line with no KB and mice.

Seems you have a corrupted pacman database

https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=%2Fdesc%3A%20No%20such%20file%20or%20directory%20%20

ffmpeg2.8 as been dropped from the repo a while ago, do you really need it?

You should have ignored ffmpeg2.8 only and rebuilt it after the update

i dont need ffmpeg but some packes like VLC still uses it, this what pacman sayed so my efoort to remove ffmpeg and x265 was failed.
tnx for your answer i’m going to fix pacman database and then see what will heppen.

I’m also new and my system also broke after the 19/2 update. I wasn’t warned about any dependency issues, but there were way more updates than I’d seen previously

I’m now re-installing.

Advice to self - if loads of updates come through, leave a few days and have a read here!

Is it “stable branch” by default?

only if you knows exactly what you are doing in press OK ,
if there is so many errors on depencies before update , there many else to check

any orphans ?
any remove with option -Rs that remove to many things ?

try a update with GUI that cannot ended if any increment version systemd appears ?

I solved this by doing the following:

sudo touch /var/lib/pacman/local/bolt-0.7-2/desc
sudo touch /var/lib/pacman/local/bolt-0.7-2/files #it said that was missing after, may or may not be the case for you
sudo pacman -S --force bolt #I know, --force is bad and depreciated, but it worked

ffmpeg2.8 is a different (older, deprecated) package to ffmpeg (vlc depends on ffmpeg)

the former is now only available through AUR while the latter is in the manjaro repository

the updates are really scary

letters and numbers, oh my !

after few months of working with Manjaro now i’m backing to Fedora, nice journey but unreliable distro.

ffmpeg2.8 is out of repository since about June 2018 ¯\(ツ)