I installed Manjaro and created snapshots. Now what?

I looked at these pages:

But they obviously aren’t official.

One of them suggests bulk update with sudo pacman -Syu and I’m a bit nervous about running that command.

The Manjaro manual doesn’t seem to have a to-do list of this nature.

What do you think about sudo pacman -Syu and the listed pages?

Check for #announcements, first. If you have updated your mirror-list run

sudo pacman -Syyu

Otherwise,

sudo pacman -Syu

is one of the possibilities to update from the normal Manjaro repos. You could also use

pamac upgrade

When you intend to upgrade your AUR packages as well, use

pamac update --aur --devel

When using a rolling release distro like Manjaro or Arch you should keep your system updated. Whenever you install a new package, make sure your packages are up-to-date and on top of that at least once every two months.

For AUR packages you could also use an AUR helper like yay or do it the classic way.

4 Likes

Thanks. I suppose the #announcements check is to see if an update package is bad? In that case, I should not use these commands?

No, in #announcements you could sometimes find extra tips to be done before or after updating. In rare cases there could be recommendations for specific systems to wait with the update.

Thanks again. Should I go through all recent topics there, or just the new ones? Because I can’t see any topics dealing exclusively with tips?

1 Like

Just look for latest announcement for your branch. If you just installed it you are on stable branch, then look here:

1 Like

Alright.

I ran sudo pacman -Syyu and it executed well, other than this:

smbclient-4.14.6-1-x86_64                 6,9 MiB  1193 KiB/s 00:06 [######################################] 100%  2,5 MiB  1236 KiB/s 00:03 [###############################--------------------------------------------------------]  36%

It’s funny, something stayed at 36%, but it’s unclear what.

If possible wait. Check your internet connections. Try to avoid to interrupt an update.

Woops, I saw that the terminal was ready for the next command and I closed it (I didn’t get any warnings from the system while I was doing this). I rebooted and started getting apps.

Maybe I should rerun the pacman command?

Then, your update should be fine. You could always check the content of the file /var/log/pacman.log.

1 Like

Thanks.

Can you please tell me what to look for in the log? It is huge. It doesn’t seem to contain the words “fail” and “error”.

I found this:

[2021-08-11T18:36:29+0200] [ALPM] upgraded smbclient (4.14.4-1 -> 4.14.6-1)

I did find several warnings, such as:

[2021-08-11T18:36:56+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] /usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type [device name]

Then there is no issue!

Warnings are often only informativ, here I see no action being required.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.