I installed kernel version 5.17 but Huawei Matebook d15 sound card is not recognized

I did try disabling fast startup and installing the brand new 5.19.1 kernel, but still no luck. BTW, can you please explain to me a bit how can a feature switch in Windows affect something working in Linux? Does this Fast Startup actually manipulate the BIOS or something?

Also, from the link provided by nikgnomic I read that, according to some assessments, it is quite hopeless to get this sound card working unless Huawei and AMD actively contribute (which they are not very eager to do, it seems). Is it really so bad? Does the SOF project still stand a reasonable chance of getting it work under Linux?

Fast Startup is a “feature” in proprietary OS that uses hybrid hibernation to appear to restart faster
A Linux OS can fail to initialise some devices from hybrid hibernation state. The audio device might be non-functional because it is stuck in hybrid hibernation

More information about ES8336 codec (and not yet supported ES8326) here:
Suggestions before filing an SOF bug – ES8336 support | SOF Project 2.2 documentation

So I tried some newer live distros with 5.19.6 and even 6.0.0 release candidate kernels, but I still only get a dummy output :frowning:

Two new reports for ES8336 codec have been posted at sofproject recently:
[BUG] Huawei MateBook D15 headphone and speaker not work · Issue #3831 · thesofproject/linux · GitHub
No Mic on ES8336 · Issue #3824 · thesofproject/linux · GitHub

What is the update here? These discussions in the sof project forum seem to have died out :frowning:

There are 12 open issues related to ES8336 audio codec at github.com/thesofproject

Also a wiki page - ES8336 support · thesofproject/linux Wiki · GitHub

No further information on this forum to suggest systems with this audio codec are working yet

1 Like