I have to reinstall rtl8192eu after every kernel update

Hi. I have a pc using a TL-WN823N network adapter. After installing Manjaro, internet didn’t work. Then I followed some instructions found in forums, connected my pc via ethernet cable and did the following:
1 - Created /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with the following content: blacklist rtl8xxxu.
2 - Installed rtl8192eu from AUR.
3 - Rebooted
It works.
But now every time I receive any kernel update either a new kernel version or an update of the same version my internet stops working and I need to bring my router near the pc to connect via cable, remove rtl8192eu, install it again and reboot. Then internet comes back.
I need to find a way to make updated kernels recognize the rtl8192eu already installed in my system without having to uninstall and reinstall it again. Can you help me with this?
Thank you in advance.

Hi @fernandoamartin, and welcome!

Please return the output for:

pamac search rtl8192eu

Tip:

When providing terminal output, please wrap the pasted text in three (3) backticks. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to bee rendered like this:

Dolor nunc aliquam
accumsan rutrum
nec purus
facilisis aliquam a
maecenas proin nisl commodo aliquam.

Instead of like this:

Dolor nunc aliquam accumsan rutrum nec purus facilisis aliquam a maecenas proin nisl commodo aliquam.Dolor nunc aliquam accumsan rutrum nec purus facilisis aliquam a maecenas proin nisl commodo aliquam.

Thereby improving legibility and thus making it easier for those trying to be of assistance.

Hi @fernandoamartin,

for an AUR kernel module to be automatically installed when a new kernel become available, you would need the dkms (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) version of the package.

rtl8192eu is not a dkms module but I see that there is a 8192eu-dkms that should be what you are looking for.

Try that one and check that it gets automatically installed with every new version of the kernel that you install.

3 Likes

Here is the output:

pamac search rtl8192eu
8192eu-dkms-git                                                                                                                                                                                                         r136.6a758d5-1  AUR 
    Driver for the Realtek 8192eu chipset (DKMS)
8192eu-dkms                                                                                                                                                                                                             114.6d2705d-1   AUR 
    Driver for the Realtek 8192eu chipset (DKMS)
rtl8192eu-git                                                                                                                                                                                                           118.1628c74-1   AUR 
    Drivers for the rtl8192eu chipset for wireless adapters (D-Link DWA-131).
rtl8192eu                                                                                                                                                                                                   [Installed] 4.4.1-3         AUR 
    Driver for the Realtek8192eu chipset.

You should uninstall the normal rtl8192eu package and rather use the -dkms one, as this should survive kernel upgrades.

• To uninstall the rtl8192eu one:
pamac remove rtl8192eu
  • To install the -dkms one:
pamac build 8192eu-dkms

And reboot.

Tip:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

You only used two backticks instead of three. :wink:

EDIT: Fixed it for you.

Thank you. I got confused with characters.

Thank you. But, sorry, 8192eu-dkms didn’t survive a kernel update.

dkms will always rebuild on kernel update.

I use virtualbox dkms for the host modules and it work every time.

A dkms is a dynamic kernel module system and dkms will rebuild the modules configured.

An important thing to note is that you require kernel headers for all installed kernels.

Now I tried to install 8192eu-dkms and then issue the commands

sudo depmod -a
sudo mkinitcpio -P

Even so when I update from kernel 5.15 to 5.16 the internet was broken. Then I booted in kernel 5.15 and internet was still working on it.
8192eu-dkms didn’t survive the kernel update again.

You need to install the headers for all kernels in use.

If you select to install kernel 5.16 you must install linux516-headers as well - they don’t install automagically - otherwise dkms will fail.

sudo pacman -Syu linux516 linux516-headers
1 Like

Thank you. This alongside the other points above solved the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.