I have no idea how to create an ethernet connection

Could you please take a look at the image in the very first post of this thread. The image you see is an image of what is necessary to create an ethernet connection. What I don’t know is how to fill that out. That has to be done first. Once I have the information and fill that out then I will know whether or not the ethernet cable will work. If it doesn’t work I’ll try the one that’s coming from the wall.

Thanks for your help. It’s midnight here I have to go now I’ll be back tomorrow

His it guy that advised him to use Wi-Fi lives quite far away. I suspect he is not the one who set up the office system. Aside from that he’s only a Windows guy and when I asked him about Linux networking he doesn’t know

This has nothing to do with linux networking and even less with manjaro. If it doesn’t work when you plug in cable, then find another IT guy or post your question on some networking forum.

I did look at that image.

That is why I asked the Questions I asked.

Since you cannot answer those questions, there is nothing more anyone can do to help you. Because that is information YOU need to fill out that form.

Also what @ zbe said.

There is nothing more to fill in - it will just work if
IF your cable is actually one that is coming from a router.

Since you found a server with some free network port
and plugged your cable into that
it will NOT work
unless that server is actually a router.

You could just as well try to connect your computer to the one of your friend:
the cable will fit - but a connection will not be set up
and using a crossover cable by itself will NOT change that.

you are doing it wrong
use the router that provides the wifi - it may have a free port for you to plug in

… if you are allowed to do all that

so the cable has been plugged into the wall and just placed under the desk. however when I followed it to the wall it is plugged in but the cover is loose and I don’t know if it is reliable for a good connection. so i bought 25’ of cat 6 and i can plug it into the back of a server, in the closet

1º Wouldn’t it be easier to fix the wall connection? or the external connector?
2º Follow the direction of the cable from the wall to the server, it will give you where to connect your purchased cable without disturbing others (it is your desk), I deduce that you are a boss maybe … ask an employee for help.

For the rest, what they told you here is true, the connection usually configures itself without doing anything else… in any case, if you can create a wired connection from the network manager (press + and choose wired).

buena suerte