I hate the current state of PC gaming

Remember the old days when you could walk into a bookstore and buy a video game on a physical install medium, went home and installed it on your PC and it just worked?

pepperidge

You didn't need to make an online account.

You didn't need to update the game or install patches, because it was a finished product when you bought it.

You could play singleplayer on a computer with no internet access.

You could also play multiplayer over LAN. There would be LAN parties where people would get together, bring their computers with them, connected them to a network and spend hours and hours having fun, playing games in person and eating pizza. I remember asking my dad to drive me to LAN parties, because it was otherwise impossible for a little kid to transport his big PC with the big CRT monitor. :slight_smile:

And if you wanted to play online, you could choose a server to play on, and you and your friends could set up a server, too. There were no online cheaters, because they'd just get banned from private servers.

I miss those times.

There was no DRM (except maybe unobtrusive stuff, like DVD copy protection), no annoying spyware launchers like Steam that collect and sell your private data. Things like how many hours you spent playing each game, and even things like what ethical choices you made in story driven games. They are literally compiling psychological profiles of their users (and they call it achievements). God, I hate Steam, and the whole philosophy behind it. And I'm very concerned over the fact thatLinux gaming is primarily Steam-based.

Nowadays, you have this:

You literally need to have rootkits installed on your computer in order to play video games nowadays.

We've gotten to a point where you really get a better, and safer experience when you download pirated games: see this interesting article about video game piracy and how some pirated games offer better performance and even respect your privacy more. How sad is that?

8 Likes

It took me 5 hours to install Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday, through the Rockstar Launcher I had to install. I just wanted a short revisit to do some shooting and hunting. And then I can't even start it without being online and logged in to what seems a myriad of accounts.

2 Likes

this will be concern all games from Bethesda

doom , quake , elder scrolls , wolfenstein

that means also theirs graphics solution and servers cant detects cheaters , or they do not want have IA to find cheaters ( online )

1 Like

The problem of cheaters is a red herring. It's a totally made up problem.

It's so easy to solve it: just let people run private servers for multiplayer. Then the server owner can ban anyone who disrupts the enjoyment of others. And you can have servers where cheating is tolerated and servers where the smallest offence is punished by permaban.

The same solution gets rid of any unwanted "online harassment, trolling, racist slurs, etc..." These would all be non-issues if you let people run their own servers.

this is not all the solution
we have used in the past privates servers with dedicaced servers for that.
but , always the same thing , cheaters appears and in some case try to get admin on theses servers.

before can plays online or where limited on servers , now many games required heavy servers to runs many as they can players this is not easy

Minecraft has a perfect multiplayer model: if your server has a whitelist of people who are allowed to play on it, and nobody else is even allowed to connect, there will be no cheaters. If anyone is caught cheating, they'll get removed from the whitelist and will never set foot on the server again.

And on servers where everyone knows everyone personally, how could cheating or harassment ever be problems?

I understand that this model is not applicable to every game imaginable, but surely, having rootkits on users' PCs is not a solution either.

At least not to this problem. I am pretty sure that these rootkits have an ulterior purpose and that anti-cheating is just an excuse.

1 Like

I sure do, it was a thing until the end of 2000s, early 2010s. I still have the majority of my old collection of games (RIP my copy of Sim City 4 Deluxe, I played it so much that my disks are completely ruined).

It took me a long time before I dared to buy a video game on an online platform, since I was so used to just put the disk, install the game, and play it immediately without any kind of online account or whatever; and having physical media for my video games.

Well, nowadays, I barely play any video game at all, so it doesn't really matter to me anymore (the last game I bought was like AoE2 DE from Steam and AoE2 HD last fall, and the last time I bought a video game back then was like Overwatch in summer 2016).

I remember a party with friends at someone's home. We played Warcraft III, and it was funny to see the range of money spent on computers among my friends, from the most high-end desktop PC with the mechanical keyboard and co. (way overkill for Warcraft III, but hey, for the swag), to the average low-cost laptop. lol

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder of classic gaming anyway.

I'm installing Medieval II Total War. Gonna play as the english, hand the french their asses to them, establish a foothold in the Middle East, and beat the Mongols.

Gonna be a blast!

1 Like

I remember when the few games offered in Linux were Solitaire, Mahjongg, and the old GNOME games. And that was it.

Until iD Software ported DooM, then Quake, (you could download a bootloader or rough binary installer for them). Then they finally made official ports.

(Ten more years of advancement excluded for brevity.)

We always said, "If you want gaming on Linux, support gaming (buy a game) for Linux," and that came about.

What we have now is so much better than pre-Steam, pre-Lutris, pre-flatpak & snaps, pre-anything else, there is literally no comparison.

3 Likes

As much as I want gaming on Linux, I will never buy a game from Steam, for the simple reason that I do not want that sort of spyware on my computer and, more importantly, I do not want to financially support a company that spies on its users.

Since it is virtually impossible to buy and play a game in private these days, therefore, Linux gaming in its current state is off limits to me (with a few exceptions), and I've accepted that.

It is regrettable that gamers are willing to use a launcher from an evil company like Steam and sacrifice their privacy for the sake of entertainment. Back in the '90s and '00s, we didn't have to do that, and I remember how nice that was. That is why I hate the current state of PC gaming.

2 Likes

Some 'examples' of gaming on Linux. :wink:

1 Like

GOG has a quite few Linux games. Their games are all DRM free and can be directly downloaded.

You need an account to purchase them so they will know which games you own. However, they aren't providing any other central infrastructure or tracking that I am aware of.

2 Likes

GOG is the only online game store that I ever spent my money in. That was many years ago, when I still used Windows. I had forgotten that they sell Linux games, too (back when I bought games from them, Linux gaming was like @c00ter described it: Solitaire and Mahjongg). Thanks for reminding me about GOG!

GOG is certainly a better option than Steam for those concerned about security and privacy of their computers (which is the reason why so many people choose Linux in the first place, over Windows).

1 Like

Maybe for privacy, but they don't have the linux support as far as Proton, etc, which is the reason I, and many others, use Steam, and Lutris.

I am also in the camp, especially given today's hostile corporate environment (DRM,) where I am not above pirating some games, especially those that I have purchased in the past...and will not purchase AGAIN now that everything has moved to online/downloading coveted by gatekeepers.

1 Like

Yeah, I totally understand you.

You know that the current state of gaming is truly awful when people pirate games they already paid for, simply because the pirated version is better than the legal copy. That's the most ironic part in all of this.

You are certainly not the only one who feels that way. What prompted my rant earlier today was reading a topic on Bethesda forum about this Doom Eternal anti-cheat rootkit and I was shocked how many people in that thread said something like: "oh, another game I paid for, that I'll have to pirate". That's sad.

Exactly, I am playing Dragon Age Inquisition, a Bioware (EA games, another DRM gatekeeper) which I purchased long ago, using a crack to get it to work with Lutris.

I agree, the hoops you have to jump just to play a game. I am sure in some boardroom, they are still shaking their fist because they haven't found a way of locking down board games yet. :grimacing: :rofl:

1 Like

Nowadays, if you want to have fun without hassle, you only have one option: Buy a console. I plan to buy a PS4 and install pirated games on it. It is the easiest, safest and the most privacy respecting way to play.

PC gaming? It’s over for me. You can thank rootkits for that.

2 Likes

As a PS4 owner* you will have difficulty playing online if you do this. PSN is very good at detecting cracked consoles (permanent ban if discovered) and on top of that the PS4 will NOT allow you to use any network features if it detects that your system OS is so much as one version out of date. And updates will uninstall any mods.

Unless you plan to keep it offline 24/7, Please consider buying physical media for the console instead and supporting the gaming companies you love. Everyone rags on physical media but IMO it is the most secure way to purchase. If the company is good (example: Altus) the game will last for years. I have Nintendo cartridges and discs from ages ago that still work to this day.

*disclaimer to mods, I have not cracked my PS4 nor pirated any games, I am simply stating the consequences of doing so. Therefore I am not in violation of forum rules concerning illegal activity.

2 Likes

At least Steam isn’t as bad as the Epic Games Store, whose launcher was so suspicious that even the Windows users threw up a red flag. When the “elite Windows Power Users” throw a fit you know somethings up! Personally, I use consoles (PS4) since it keeps the DRM off my system and my hair on my head. (Nvidia hell)

I agree though that companies are going overboard with the restrictions. Greed ruins everything.

1 Like

Why do you buy those games to start with?

Forum kindly sponsored by