I gave Project Trident a try (Void Linux with Lumina desktop)

You can read more about Project Trident rebasing from TrueOS (FreeBSD) to Void Linux here: https://project-trident.org/post/os_migration/

I liked it, Lumina is a weird DE, but it was a pleasant experience. Install did not take long. They do need to adjust the title bars of their windows though, looks kinda tacky. Void's daily updates surprisingly did not break the system, the syntax for xbps can give you a headache adjusting though. The OS ran pretty smoothly out of the box, so impressive for a bleeding edge distro. Just thought I'd report on my findings for my first experience with a Void distro. To be honest, I find daily updates to be kinda annoying since I'm not a dev. So I don't know if I could ever see myself using it on another machine. I ran it in a VM this time. But I am pleased my time with it.

And don't worry, no Manjaro or Arch installations were harmed in the testing of this distro. My daily drive is Manjaro and always will be. (Unless something really, really bad happens, which I doubt.) Gonna test out Redcore next.

2 Likes

I'm surprised you did not talk about boot speed. All the systemd distro I have tried. Solus have been the fastest. But void linux runit can have you wonder if this will be better off for people with hdd and not ssd. Are you running this off a VM?

1 Like

True. It was faster, but yes I ran it in a VM. I don't compare boot speeds for that very reason. I really ought to fix my backup laptop....

EDIT: Why do I feel somehow, less for using VM? Now I have to buy parts.
EDIT 2: Yeah, sorry @Days, my message was confusing. Boot times for me really vary depending on the distro when I run them in a VM. Trident was faster than most, but for a fair comparison I should run it bare metal, was what I was trying to say. :grinning:

1 Like

I gave Void a good work out and enjoyed the ride. Never tried it bare metal but I do have a headless laptop that needs a little love. Next project coming soon. :wink:

Project Trident will be a fun one to try. Since it used ZFS by default. They don't need to update the iso like other distro. Or arch base in general. It just update and don't care how old it is. Maybe it should for the easier to install newer hardware. So every 6 to 8 month until the next iso update. Its some of the plus from adapting Void Linux.

2 Likes

I guess with everything closing here for the next few weeks, I will have no reason not to give it a try.

1 Like

I'm thinking on slapping this on my intel nuc. It running Solus for a few year now. But don't give it much love like I used to.

I remember it took a little bit to install Void into VB, I bookmark Project Trident and will try to install it first via VB first. Not sure how it will like the old laptop connected to the TV. :thinking:

1 Like

Lumina used fluxbox as it backend for window manager. It is a very stable window manager. But I have not play around with Lumina desktop very much. Poke pc-bsd or TrueOS for today. I just wanted a little more stable of a environment to work with. I too have my intel nuc connect to a TV as will. I'll let you know how my bare bone install turn on my intel nuc. It should be fine. Since I max out the ram on that thing. I will not be able to test thing out. Till the weekend. Work is still running. I guess I'm some what lucky it part of the pharmacy chain of work.

2 Likes

Look forward to hear about your out come. :smiley:

1 Like

Have it installed in VB and running well. See it installed wireguard and firejail.
Just setting things up now but everything seems to be working.

So I been trying out Project Trident. I'm only having one issue. pulseaudio is keeping sddm form starting up. So that a weird thing to happen. I'll try to figure this out later. I have not done much with it. Other thing trying to figure out why sddm will not startup.

Thing I have learn. It seem they set zfs encryption by default. Why user need to have a min of 8 characters long password. So. If you plain on installing this project. xf86-video-fbdev + base mesa package, the default. So your going need to config you computer video + mesa to get the most out your computer. For my Intel Nuc 6 gen. I needed: xf86-video-intel, mesa-intel-dri, 20-intel.conf setup,and optional intel-ucode. Last one is for "Microcode update files for Intel CPUs". They do have linux-firmware-intel install by default. Unlike normal void linux. They have non-free repo enable by default. It seem they have not touch /etc/os-release. So stuff like neofetch will show info like it will with void linux. You may want to change root shell to bash. Since it used void linux default root shell. dash. How to change. After you type your root password in the terminal. chsh -s /bin/bash

I have not done much with the desktop. Other then install some extra stuff. Have a look.

2 Likes

Awesome analysis. I’ll stay tuned to see what else you discover. You certainly did more than me, all I did was the equivalent to a test drive. The sddm sounds almost like a bug, maybe consider reporting it?

1 Like

The only thing I been lazy about. Was to setup my timezone. In /etc/rc.conf

TIMEZONE="America/New_York"

Change it to what you like. I think it going need a reboot. To see a change.
Just confirm. All was needed was a reboot.

1 Like

Been doing some more digging. No. I have not bother to figure out how to fix the sddm issue. But I did try to install it on my main computer. But I was not able to get it connect to the net. CP (captive portal) issue I been learning to over come. But. I cant even get it connect to it with USB tethering. So it a little to bare bones netinstall for me. So I plain on doing a chroot install from void linux iso. Since they have a gui desktop. But a few of them are broken this time around. So I been learning on what are the main base package are install. As will as repo. There is one added repo. That is for this project. And not related to void linux. I'll give it a spin tomorrow. This will give me more control over my installed. As will how I'm going handle zfs part. TBH, I don't really care if zfs is encrypted or not. So a normal non encrypted zfs. I don't like that limited password cap of 8. Fun part is going be figuring out how to manage refind. Since void linux used grub by default. And Project Trident is using refind. Or it using it for just efi install only??? Void Linux do have efi gurb support. Just not by default. But can be done.

I only installed it into VB and the WM wasn't for me. However it did run very well.
Tomorrow might be a CloverOS install kind of day.
Chit I think I'm running out of OS to try.

It a good way to test drive. But. I don't mine the DE. Since it like LXQt. But with different point of view. I like to see how it handle dual screen. If it handle it better compare to LXQt. LXQt does work with multi monitor setup. Just handle the wallpaper as if it all one screen. That a huge turn off. LXQt just did not care about fix that issue for years. There next update to LXQt DE. Is going finally fix that issue. And TBH. That give me less of a reason to used that desktop anymore. And give me more hope in Lumina. And maybe. Get back into making theme again. Who knows. But, I have always find it fun to do.

1 Like

I'm getting so bored that I might even give Windows 10 a run. :dizzy_face:

Then install gentoo. And watch how many hour go by not using your computer. Just watch thing compile and compile and compile, ect, ect.

It just may get to that. I even looked at Linux from scratch. ( never tried it yet )

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by