I dont know how to install anything

hello . i am a noob and install manjaro , i dont know how install apps . soe friend say pamac . i dont know how run that

The KDE edition uses Octopi as it’s graphical package manager. You can find it under the System menu.

what i must search?

isnt any code terminal to found that?

is this app store???

short answer - YES

find what you want with octopi, right click it’s name and click on Install. Then click Transaction on the menu and then click Commit. Enter your root password when prompted.

also I edited your topic title so anyone else reading the forum knows what you were actually after information about.

1 Like

Unfortunately since I believe @mehdior wants to install anbox it is more/very complicated.

There are various anbox packages available in the AUR and a ‘tutorial’ of sorts for building/using it with Manjaro (Running Android applications on Arch using anbox) but it is not straight forward and I could not recommend it for a new user (even without the language difficulty).

Probably the more realistic way is to install with a ‘snap’ package as Lolix suggests in the last post of that thread. (But) I have no experience of snap or any desire to learn.

Simplified, yes but in reality it’s a GUI package installer so it’s bit more complicated and advanced then simple app store.

Since you are completely new, using pamac will be eaiser for you because pamac has some more appstore qualities.

1. Use Octopi to install pamac
  2. Open pamac, go to preferences (hamburger menu).
  3. Enable Arch User Repository and mark check it for updates.
    Now you are ready. Go to the main pamac’s window with packages. Now just type a name of a package you want to install, pamac will show you results (divided into repo and AUR - depends on situation) and mark it. Apply, wait a moment, a new window will pop-up, hit BUILD. Wait or look on details.

Know that AUR is huge and awesome but comes with its own set of problems so some apps won’t install so you must know how to find such AUR packages on the internet, read descriptions, possibly change PKGBUILD -> it is a recipe to install, some changes are easy like changing new version, changing url, adding new sha256 sums or SKIP, etc.

Some AUR packages are binaries (mostly deb and rpm), some need compilation and this can be more complicated task if compilation fails from some reason. It’s usually the best to contact the package maintainer or post a comment on AUR package page to get help with it.

Ah, if you want full-blown app store for Plasma, install discover. It has its problems, in fact many problems so most don’t like it and don’t use it but since you are completely new, it may be a valid option for you.

1 Like

oh this plasma discovery is super strange stuff. Haven’t had enough time to read docs about it, but at first look can’t even figured out its installation process.

This is an optional part of Plasma desktop (many distros ship with it by default, Manjaro is not, because Discover is not supporting AUR so it’s better to use pacman, pamac or octopi) and it has categories like: Additions to Plasma, updates of Plasma extensions, etc.

Anyway, it’s in Manjaro repo so you can install it as any other software using Octopi, Pamac or commandline:

sudo pacman -S discover

That’s all. Nothing complicated. More complicated would be if you wanted to install discover-snap from AUR if you want to have snap support in this app store but you could still do it in pamac, find discover-snap and just install it. However discover-snap version is slower updating so it’s better for you to use regular discover package from Manjaro repo. Discover has lot of issues and it’s heavy under development so many fixes are being done with every its update.

Installing stuff on Linux is not so bad but it’s very different from Windows. Every distribution has repositories with available packages (so like app-store) and if you have a graphical installer (pamac, octopi, discover, gnome-software) you just find needed app and hit install. Just like on Android.

However, there are many different repositories and some may work differently and need different tools. Like AUR on Arch side. Also, some packages are already compiled (binaries) so installation is quick, some need to be compiled (many AUR packages) which takes time if a package is big (like browsers). Most of that is automated and made easy by using dedicated software, again: octopi, pamac, pacman. But advanced users have always possibilities to compile stuff directly from source files, git, use alien binaries (deb, rpm), install manually, semi-automatically, using scripts, write own PKGBUILDS, etc. Most Manjaro users don’t need to know that. Just use pamac which is at the moment simplest and most powerful package and software graphical manager which automates things.

1 Like

You don’t have to install pamac to use AUR when Octopi is present. Install trizen, restart Octopi and enable it in Preferences.

Yes, but AUR installation via Octopi is done with terminal anyway and many people are confused by many questions and warnings. We get all the time from new users topics like “can I install this AUR package, it says - it’s dangerous”, so I think that pamac is the best option for complete newbies.

I personally like Octopi more then Pamac but function-wise, pamac is better. It even automatically adds missing keys to AUR packages, while in Octopi you have to do it manually so new users have an additional obstacle. AUR in pamac is just done easier.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark