I don’t know how to locate SysRq

I don’t know how to locate SysRq. I’m using Manjaro Cinnamon with a Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless. The SysRq is printed on the front (not on top) of the Print Screen key. And when I press Alt+Print Screen I make a screenshot, when I press Alt Gr+Print Screen nothing happens and when I press Ctrl+Alt+Print Screen it makes a screenshot again. So what is it supposed to happen when I press it? How do I know when I’ve located it?

It depends on the keyboard. Perhaps consult the keyboard manual.

You have to add “kernel.sysrq=1” to /etc/default/grub then update grub and reboot.

By default? Nothing AFAIK.

Use xev. I don’t know your keyboard, but yes it’s typically an alternative to PrtSc key. xev should display something like this:

KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x8600001,
    root 0x94f, subw 0x0, time 128851808, (-54,239), root:(817,684),
    state 0x8, keycode 107 (keysym 0xff15, Sys_Req), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x8600001,
    root 0x94f, subw 0x0, time 128851808, (-54,239), root:(817,684),
    state 0x8, keycode 107 (keysym 0xff15, Sys_Req), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

when the key is pressed.

See what leledumbo said above, or like this:

2 Likes

Suspend is the default behavior. To change the setting, open the cinnamon-settings panel and click on the “Power Management” option. Change the “When the power button is pressed” option to your desired behavior.

@tnaser4 what does that have todo with the question in the title?:thinking:

1 Like

This is a much simpler method of achieving the desired results that he was looking for, but the advice that I originally gave was outdated.
But before the computer freezes again, all he has to do is change that one control panel setting.

Nah. Alt+SysRq in the specific context of reboot/shutdown when frozen is about when the system is frozen, i.e., when it would not react to a button press (other than a long enough press so as to force it on a “hardware” level). Alt+SysRq is moreover more generally about a lot more than reboot/shutdown: Magic SysRq key - Wikipedia

You must be a mind reader because in this topic he hasn’t voiced any desired results, except the need to “know how to locate SysRq”…

@tnaser4 i can understand your desire to help like all of us, but please stick to what the OP is asking for in a topic and don’t do any assumptions on your own if he has not said anything in that direction in the first place, it will confuse both the OP and other readers that come to any topic in future…
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Wasn’t it like this?

What I’ve done is what it says here. Enable it for the current boot cycle

sudo sysctl -w kernel.sysrq=1

and enable it for subsequent boot cycles

echo kernel.sysrq=1 | sudo tee --append /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysrq.conf

Is the package xevdevserver, xorg-xev, or something else?

That works.

1 Like
$ pacman -Qo `which xev`
/usr/bin/xev is owned by xorg-xev 1.2.5-1

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.